Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jun 13, 2003, 1:45 AM   #1

Default Another Newbie with questions

I have a Nikon 5000 with a Nextphoto Coolfix Variable Adaptor. I am in the market for a telescope (Bushnell Voyager 78-9565) and want to know how to mate these together. This Telescope is camera adaptable according to the Mfg. I am also considering a scope set up. The only one I have read about so far is the Crystalvue Sharpshooter 8x32. Are their other good choices for my camera?
The Grand Pooh-Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2003, 8:27 AM   #2

Hi,

Not to be negative to start off, but in the absence of a compelling reason to buy the Bushnell, my first suggestion would be to not get that scope, but instead consider one of the older Meade ETX-90 or similar telescopes.

The Bushnell Voyager's "telescope" adaptation is designed for a 35mm camera with removable lens. For use with your Nikon this mount has no utility at all because the Nikon works by actually seeing through the telescope's eyepiece (afocal).

The Mead or a Celestron, etc., is a "MUCH" more compact telescope and truthfully much better in terms of optics than the Bushnell. The Bushnell can be adapted to a 1.25" astro eyepiece which is commonly used by the majority of astro-type telescopes, but why adapt when that's the default with telescopes like the Meade, Celestron, etc.

The way you will use your Nikon for digiscoping is to mechanically hold the objective lens of the camera in extreme close proximity to the ocular (eyepiece) of the telescope. There are a number of adapters made to do this. With your CP5000, the Nikon adapter which allows the camera's lens to telescope in and out is threaded and simply requires the proper thread size mate to either a 1.25" eyepiece for the telescope which is threaded on the ocular side, or to a mechanical sleeve which then clamps over the eyepiece and then holds the camer's lens right up against the telescope's eyepiece.

Before suggesting a particular model of adapter, you should first decide on and purchase your telescope. Once that has been done, then a proper adapter to link the camera and telescope can be suggested.

Again, unless you have a compelling reason to purchase the Bushnell, please consider a different telescope, it will make things much simpler and truthfully, give you much better performance.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote