Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jun 16, 2003, 7:12 AM   #1

Default Advice required, Please!

I recently purchased a Nikon 995 with the view to taking an adventure into Digiscoping of which I am a total novice. I have looked at the Meade ETX range and figger that the 90RA or even the 90EC would make an ideal partnership. Having said that they are expensive here in the UK. So I was wondering what your thoughts would be re The Celestron 102mm Wide View. Any suggestions and advice will be heeded.
Thanks in advance.
Geordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:29 PM   #2

If your only objection to the Meades was price, you might be interested in the following :

www.sherwoods-photo.com look in Skywatcher section

www.pulsar-optical.co.uk in Intes scroll down to the Astele scopes
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 7:27 AM   #3

Afraid so at the moment as I have recently purchased a new computer and I won't go into debt. I am looking on ebay re the meades and hope to find a bargain soon. The Celestrone was to be a stop gap and I wondered and wanted to know how well it would operate.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 7:28 AM   #4

Ooops nearly forgot to Thank you I will checkout your link now :lol:
Old Jun 24, 2003, 11:16 AM   #5

I'd expect the Celestron 102mm Wide View would have a tendency to suffer from false colour; at f5 it is very fast for an achromat. I understand it gives nice views at 20x on not too distant objects. Problem is digiscoping seems to be very demanding. If you've seen a cheap one and are just keen to have a go, I'd be tempted. At the new price of 200 though I think there must be better options.

To see what is being achieved with various combinations of camera and scope :

http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/mr/ds/ds_combinations.htm

The Skywatcher 102mm on the list here may be a version of the scope you are looking at. It's being used here with a special eyepiece to help compatibility with the Canon G2 (trickier for digiscoping than the Coolpix).

I'd recommend looking at the Lomo Astele 95 site if you're keen to go down the catadioptric route.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2003, 4:23 PM   #6

Hi Again.

Thanks once again for the links. I fully understand what you are saying with reference to the Celestron and have decided against it. I rang Birmingham and it appears he may have some Meade ex display stock coming in. If the price is right I'll go for the ETX 90 EC UHTC group. If I can't obtain the Meade I'll go for the 102 Skywatcher. But first I'll check out your new link. Thanks again for your good advice.