Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 6, 2007, 7:29 AM   #11

Thanks. I'll look for your suggestions, and let you know how it turns out.

Dave
milstonelab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:29 AM   #12

I know that this is waaaaaaaay late but here's what I did to mine to get it working again. (Pics to come should someone need them). The top cover has to be removed above the flash. Use a good quality screwdriver set so you don't strip out the phillips head screws. After removing the top cover, you'll have to remove the protecting plastic wrap over the electronics. Be careful when you do this as I shocked myself more than once due to the charge stored up on a very small capacitor used for the flash ( at least I think it's a capacitor). You will then see a silver metal cover with three small screws. Remove the screws and gently lift the metal motor housing out of the camera. It will have a few wires attached to it, so don't snap off the wires. Here's where I got to the meat of the problem. On my camera (4500), the problem was with the black plastic sliding ccd imaging device found under and to the left of the motor housing if you look inside the camera with the camera facing forward. On my camera the sliding ccd imager was jammed against the back of the camera and wouldn't move thus not allowing the motor to position it where it needs to be for automatic focus thereby causing the the deadly noise you hear. To see what I mean, start up the camera while holding the motor housing upside down ( best to have the camera plugged into an external power supply and not use the battery) and you will see how the motor functions by moving a keeper up and down a threaded shalf. When the keeper gets to the end of the threaded shalf, it starts the click, grind routine. Needless to say, I had to use a very small screwdriver to pry the ccd imager bracket away from the back of the camera and it was stuck pretty good as it took a bit of pressure to work it loose so that it would slide freely on it's shaft again. Just make sure you pry from the back where it is jammed and not the front where you might damage the ccd imager. ( this is all assuming that your camera has the same problem as mine) Once you have it free then comes the next step. You will need to set the keeper on the motor shaft back to it's correct position on the it's threaded shaft. Turn over the the metal motor housing so that you are loooking at the motor itself. turn the camera on and observe the keeper as it travels along its threaded shaft. It will probably reach the end of the shaft and begin to grind. Don't worry about this. Just unplug the camera at this point as soon as it gets to the end of the shaft and strats to grind and use a small screwdriver to push the keeper on the shaft back about a 1/4 of the lenght of the shaft. Now use the screwdriver to slide the ccd imager bracket on its shaft about 3/4 of the way to the front of the camera so that when you install the motor housing back in place, the keeper will fall into its slot on the ccd imager bracket. If you look at the ccd imager bracket you will see the slot I am talking about. Now just put a finger on top of the motor housing and turn the camera on again. If all goes well you won't hear the deadly noise anymore and the camera will be fine. If you do still hear a bit of noise, then the keeper wasn't lined up correctly. Even if you don't hear any noises on start up, you are not necessarily free and clear. You have to check that the zoom works from low to high without any grinding noises. I had to move the keeper a few times before I found it's correct starting position with the ccd imager bracket on start up. Just takes a little patience thats all. Beets the hell out of throwing away the entire camera thought. Hope this helps out someone. It saved mine from the trash!!!
Bayoublaster400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:14 PM   #13

Well, glad you're back, and thank you for these amazing instructions! I put this camera aside but am certainly still interested and will give it a try.

Thank goodness for the notification service or I would probably never have seen these instructions.

Dave
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:22 AM   #14

Again I apologize for the extremely late posting but when get back home I'll check my other labtop for the instructions with pics on disassembly. Maybe they'll allow me to post a link to it or I may be able to email it to anyone who may need them. I'll have to check the rules on links here in this forum. I don't want to get banned from here. I learn entirely too much in my spare time from reading everyone elses posts.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:56 AM   #15

Pics would be great if you can do it and they are allowed.

Dave
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:51 AM   #16
Administrator

As long as it's not a commercial site you're associated with and trying to plug (IOW, please don't use the forums for advertising), links to the images would be fine.

You can also downsize and attach the images directly to your posts here (one image attachment/post, but you can make multiple posts to the same thread). You'll see a browse button for that purpose under your entry screen when you're typing a new post.

See this thread:

How to post your images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 9:12 AM   #17

Appreciate the help. I'm going to work on the pics. Thanks again for the help and suggestions.