Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 6, 2003, 7:19 AM   #1

Default Switching from Sony F707 to Coolpix

Its clear to me now that there is no decent tradeoff when trying to adapt the F707 to digiscoping so I am going to sell or trade my F707 for a Coolpix model. The two I am looking at are the 990 and 995. I know the 990 has very good success with digiscoping. Does the 995 share that success?
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2003, 9:43 PM   #2

Yes, the 995 is good (from all that I've read on the web.)

You should also consider the CP4500. Check out this link:
http://www.digiscoped.com/Nikoncp4500vscp990.html

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2003, 7:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Yes, the 995 is good (from all that I've read on the web.)

You should also consider the CP4500. Check out this link:
http://www.digiscoped.com/Nikoncp4500vscp990.html

Eric
That sounds good. My only problem is that I cant afford to spend more. I am trying now to trade my DSC F707, 128 card and zoom lens for a 995. I did find a refurbished 4500 for $439. I guess I could try to sell my stuff for that. Any advise on a good, not to expensive setup for the scope. I am assuming I would need a scope and adapter ring or is there more involved?
Old Jul 7, 2003, 10:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Any advise on a good, not to expensive setup for the scope. I am assuming I would need a scope and adapter ring or is there more involved?
There are a couple ways you could go on this - but here's one fairly inexpensive yet quality approach.

The Meade ETX-90 is an excellent digiscoping tool. The scope is available in a wide variety of configurations from computer controlled tracking to bare essentials. Perhaps the least expensive are the older models which had battery driven tracking and no computer and autofinding capabilities. Often they can be found on the web for under $200.

Once you get the scope, it's extremelyi easy to remove the barrel from the "yoke" which makes it light and easy to work with. There are two tripod mount threaded holes attached to the barrel itself so you don't really need all the mechanics for digiscoping.

To connect the camera to the telescope you have two options: first you can use a mechanical coupling device (there are numerous ones available) or you can use a specialized eyepiece which has a threaded ocular that threads directly to the 28mm filter thread on the CP series Nikons. Personally, I prefer the threaded eyepiece. There are two major companies which make these. William Optics has a very nice 24mm 1.25" eyepiece, the DCL-28, which threads right to the cameras filter thread. Also ScopeTronix makes a couple eyepieces compatible with the Nikon digicams. These eyepieces are around $89 U.S.

Along with this you will definitely want an Xtend-a-View (sunshade/loupe) which will let you use the LCD to focus and compose. The Xtend-a-View can be purchased in the U.S. from the manufacturer:

www.photosolve.com

And in the U.K from Eagle Eye

www.eagleeyeuk.com

Here's a link to William Optics distributor

http://www.williamoptics.com/

And to ScopeTronix:

http://www.scopetronics.com/

Actually, I just noticed that ScopeTronix has the ETX-90RA for $199 while they last -........

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2003, 9:20 AM   #5

Thanks Lin,
I am leaning towards the refurbished cp4500 for $439. I have couple of nibbles on my F707 and think it should go for that price. I also checked out the links you gave and it sounds good to me. I am ready to get going. Hopefully my next post will be about my first digiscoping images.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 6:48 PM   #6

Lin, my CP4500 will be delivered to me Monday. I am going with the Meade ETX90. I want to be sure I am covered on adapters and accessories needed. I know I said my next post would be about my first images but... Could you please confirm this list and advise of any suggestions? I also read another of your post in reference to a 4500 and you mentioned a prism. Am I going to need this as well?

CoolPix 4500
Meade ETX90
William Optics DCL-28 Eyepiece Digital Camera Adapter (28mm)
Eaglyeye Wing 4500 with Wingstud4500
Extend-A-View Mini