Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 9, 2003, 2:16 AM   #1

Default Digiscoping with the D100

Hi - I'm new here, and glad to find a forum dealing with digiscoping. I'm a digiscoper for several years now, started with my old CP990, than migrated to the CP4500, tried my Sony 707/717, and was working hard to mount the D100 on a telescope. I have a few spotters, and was very frustrated that my D100 was out of the game. I've purchased the Nikon adapter to the 60mm FSIIIED, and got an approximate 800mm with my D100, but no metering. I used the same adapter on the Swarovsky 80 STHD, using the Swarovski Plossl adapter with care, and it worked as a 1000mm, but again, no metering (you got to add the X1.5 focal length multiplier of the D100).
Recently I managed to get metering by using a 50mm lens on the D100, a 52-42mm adapter ring with the original eypieces of the Nikon and the Swarovski using an appropriate home made adapter. The whole structure is heavy and long, and I'm using a Nikon MBK holder mounted on a Gitzo 1348 tripod. I'm getting easily 2000mm and above with the D100, with almost no light loss. Images are very good. I'll shortly try it with the Leica ApoTelevid 62, when I'll get the adapter that I've ordered from my local mechanic. Digiscoping is fascinating!
Yossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2003, 12:21 AM   #2

Here's an example moon shot with the D100:

http://www.kramery.com/digitalphoto/...est/moon16.jpg
Old Jul 10, 2003, 12:24 AM   #3

And here's one done with the CP4500 and the Leica Apo Televid 62. There's still a long way to get this with the D100.

http://www.kramery.com/digitalphoto/.../MoonLeica.jpg
Old Jul 11, 2003, 4:02 AM   #4

Hi Yossi. If you're interested, you might be in a position to offer some useful input to the following new thread:

http://www.astromart.com/messages.as...id=90057&page=
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:57 PM   #5

Swarovski makes two adapters which adapt an SLR to their spotting scopes. One gives you 800mm and one 1100 mm. Adjusted for the 1.6x field of view you would have 1280mm or 1760 respectivly. No matter how you connect your SLR to the telescope, as long as it's not afocal (looking through one of the eyepieces as with you CP4500) there will be no metering. You just need to check the histogram and after a few shots will get a good feel for the ISO and shutter speed combinations to give you the best results.

I use the Meade ETX-90 with all my Canon dSLR's (including the 10D) and get excellent results from a tripod with remote release. Here are a couple shots with my D30 and the Meade. This combination like the 10D gives an effective 2000mm.

I have the Swarovski ST80 HD, but haven't used it with my SLR's yet.

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 8:20 AM   #6

Very nice shots! the moon shot is stunning. I'm aware of the Swarovski adapters, but after trying the Nikon adapter on the FSIIIED and on the Swarovski as well, I decided to put it away. Optically it's great, and if you want to shoot the moon or other stationary objects, you got enough time to do some test shots and find the right exposure. The problem is with moving objects and with varying light conditions, there just isn't enough time for measuring, therefore I chose the sytem I've described above. It's very convenient to have one camera for all jobs, but it takes quite a while to connect all pieces together. I'm sometimes too lazy to do it, so I just use my CP4500 on the scope. This creates though another problem - in our blinding sunshine it's virtually impossible to see the screen during the day, and I tried all possible hoods, none were found really satisfactory. I got to find a big tree or another shade in order to see what's going on on the screen. I'm waiting for Nikon to release a new camera or a F/W update that will allow metering with any optics connected to the camera.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
I tried all possible hoods, none were found really satisfactory. I got to find a big tree or another shade in order to see what's going on on the screen. I'm waiting for Nikon to release a new camera or a F/W update that will allow metering with any optics connected to the camera.
Yossi,
The solution to this problem (sunshine) is incredibly simple. You need the Xtend-a-View which is a combination Sunshade/2x loupe. No matter how bright the sun, this lets you easily use the LCD for composing and shooting. The Xtend-a-View comes in several sizes and the new mini Xtend-a-View pro is made for the CP4500 and other cameras with small LCD's. I use these on all my 24 digicams to see the LCD in bright sunlight - even for setting menu options on my pro cameras (EOS-1D, EOS-1DS, DCS-760, EOS-10D, EOS-D30).

Here's a link - also you may want to consider the Omni mount which provides a way to mount the Xtend-a-View without using velcro. Either way works, but I prefer the Omni mount.

In the U.S.

http://www.photosolve.com

In the U.K. or Europe:

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2003, 1:19 PM   #8

Thanks. I have the mini Xtend-a-View but couldn't manage to use the velcro system. It kept falling off. I didn't know about the omni mount, I'll check it immediately, thanks a lot. The harsh sun here in summertime is unbelieveable, maybe good for sun bathing, but a disaster for digiscoping.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 6:57 AM   #9

Does anyone know if Leica do a D100 adaptor for their APO 77 ?
checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2003, 10:41 AM   #10

As far as I know Leica has a photo adapter with a T thread, that can fit the D100 using an appropriate T adapter for Nikon. You will not have metering though. I've done some initial experiments with my D100 and the Leica Apo 62 using a 50mm lens mounted on the camera and used the original Leica zoom eyepiece, and got very nice results + metering.