Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 9, 2003, 6:47 PM   #1

Default Opinions on spotting scope (see link and clip from site)

Main objective birding.
Secondary Investigation. (images of subjects at 200 plus yards and must be able to identify)

I found a spotting scope at digitalastronomy.com (see link and clip below taken from site).

http://www.digitalastronomy.com/htm..._birding__d.asp

ST Series 80mm Spotting Scope

This 80mm spotting scope features a smooth 15-60X Zoom Eyepiece, a Fully-Multicoated optical system, and a lightweight composite body. The large 80mm aperture collects more light than 60mm spotters for brighter images and better resolution. Includes a fitted soft case that allows you to leave it mounted to a tripod while in the case. Mounts on standard camera tripods. A great highly portable spotter for nature viewing while hiking. We also have a Digital Camera Adapter to fit this scope that works with the Nikon 990/995/4500 (and other 28mm cameras).

Reading this I'm assuming I only need their adapter to mount the scope directly to my CP4500 and I wont need an eyepiece since one is included.

Is this setup going to be a better choice over the Meade 90 taking into consideration the purpose and quality? I am looking at the same price for the scope minus the price of a eyepiece. Why do I feel like I might be sacrificing quality?

Ordering this afternoon so I really need some advise. I am on a fixed budget and can get either setup but after that, it will be while before I can upgrade again so I want the better of the two.

Thanks
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2003, 11:02 PM   #2

That link didn't work for me, I assume you mean this one:

http://www.digitalastronomy.com/html...birding__d.asp

I have no experience with that scope. Here are a few thoughts. I find it interesting that they don't mention the brand. Someone makes it. A little google searching shows that the exact same scope is also sold by scopetronics for the same price. We're talking the same pictures and text. It looks very similar so a Swarovski design.

If the multicoatings is good, this might be better than the Meade. But for that price, I'd be surprised if it was good.

I got the impression that most adapters go over the eye piece. Either way, you'll probably want the eyepiece to look through it yourself!

A consistant suggestion here is that the fixed length eye pieces were better for digiscoping than zooms. I don't know/remember if this was an inherent aspect of a zoom, or just because of how the more popular zooms are build (the Swarovski model was the origional topic of that conversation.)

Sory I can't be of more help. Personally.... I'd probable take the meade, unless I *knew* I could return the scope with no questions asked if I was unhappy. Then it would be a tougher decision.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2003, 12:02 AM   #3

Default I think I Know the maker

Look at this site:

http://www.longperng.com.tw/products.htm

I had several optical pieces from them to try out.
Yossi is offline   Reply With Quote