Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old May 14, 2007, 9:41 AM   #1

:roll:I am new to digiscoping. I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-W7 and a Pentax 8x24 UCF binocular. Can I get started?

Do I have to build a custom made adaptor? How do I attach the adaptor to the Sony? Do I leave a clearance gap between the camera lens and the binocular in order to allow for the extending lens?

I do not quite understand the focussing. Does it focus on the virtual image of the binocular (which will be within 10mm of the eyepiece), or on the real subject through the binocular (which will be infinity)?
ascot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:10 AM   #2

Ii mainly use a slr, but you can make a adapter out of some pvc fitting to align the len onto the eyepiece...experiment with the distance...you will have to zoom in
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:18 AM   #3

btw..i would recommend picking up and extender piece and filter to protect the delicate lens mechanism.
Attached Images

MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:03 PM   #4

:?Dear Minoltanut: Thank you for the advice. What is that extender shown in your photo? I suppose it screws directly onto the body (i.e. not the lens)of the Sony, and what is the thread size of the screw mount? Do you have phots showing the binocular/telescope attached?

As to focussing, do you mean that I focus by zooming, rather than by the focussing control.

BTW, do you know whether the DSC-W7 emits a pre-flash before the main flash (in which case it works only with special slave flashes), or it does not (in which case it works with ordinary slave flashes).

Thanks agains for your advice.
cchan is offline   Reply With Quote