Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jun 13, 2007, 9:52 PM   #1

I have a slight dilemma. I had to unfortunately downsize my camera collection due to financial problems getting rid of my primary camera and lenses (D-200 et.all)

I replaced it with an H-9 sony hoping it would meet my daily needs.

My wife who is an anthropologist and deep into paleoethnobotany is once again in need of photos with her microscope.

we do have a couple of other cameras to use.. but no real adapters for the microscope other than the natural nikon DSLR adapter that hooked the body of the D200 directly onto the microscope.

the other cameras i have are Nikon coolpix 4800
Sony P200
Casia EX S500

which... if any of these p/s cameras could be used for this kind of task

thanks
michael

mike4mus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:13 PM   #2

You can get decent quality pictures through the eyepiece, and you can buy adaptors that secures the camera against the eyepiece. eg.

http://www.scopetronix.com

Look at their "digital camera adaptors" section, they are not terribly expensive. They also have a MaxView system which is quite expensive: thisis an eyepiece designed for attachment to cameras (with additional adaptors for specific models).

In general, the principles of shooting through an eyepiece of a telescope are very similar, if not identical, to microscope. Point & shoot cameras with small lens diameter (which is not much bigger than the eyepiece field diameter) and less zoom (eg. 3X, such as 38-110 mm) work better, such as the Nikon Coolpix 900 series/ 4500 famous for their design adaptability to digiscoping. You usually get vignetting at the wide end of the zoom, which disappears in the early milddle zoom range. High power zoom (I guess anything >200mm, 35mm film standard) is not useful because the quality is terrible, and you will have problem with focussing because of the magnification.

A camera with no-extending zoom is even better, becausethe coupling between the camera lens and the eyepiece is lost during theshortening or extension of the lens barrel,when you use the camera zoom lens to frame the picture. A rather cumbersome way to get around this is to zoom and frame the picture while you hold the camera against the eyepiece, then secure it with the adaptor at this particular zoom setting.Using a camera with extending lens, you mustNOT zoom after mounting onto the eyepiece,because if the lens extends and forces against the eyepiece, it may damage the mechanism.

A camera with manual focus is useful but not essential. Set the focus to infinity, use the microscope to do coarse focussing, then put the camera back to autofocus so that it can track minor focus changes when you move around the field. If you run into problem with autofocus hunting, set the focus manually to infinity and only use the mciroscope to do the focussing.

I generally find that it is not necessary to set the camera to the highest resolution setting - something like 3 MP (2000x1500-ish pixel resolution) is sufficient because the quality is limited by the optics, and there islittlegain using high (6-10) MP settings.

blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 5:39 PM   #3

I really appreciate your detailed and informative answer... I think that is just the kind of answer i was looking for... in every aspect..

thank you very very much

michael
Attached Images

mike4mus6 is offline   Reply With Quote