Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Aug 11, 2003, 3:50 PM   #1

Default Canon G5?

I've read that some people use the Canon G3 for digiscoping. Anyone tried the G5?

I haven't read much of Steve's review yet, but I will. The thing which caught my eye was the introduction of a ND filter into the camera. Will that interfer with digiscoping? (i.e. make the imager darker? We need as much as light as possible!)

I would attach it to an ATS-80 HD, for what its worth.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2003, 7:41 PM   #2

Hi Eric. I see the G5 is about a stop faster than the Nikon 4500 (or two slower with the ND filter on...) That's got to be useful. Just in case this may be of use to someone, here's the link I use to find out about digicams:
http://www.a-digital-eye.com/

Scroll down a couple of screens and links are offered there to half a dozen of the top digicam sites (including this). DigitalCamera.jp (using the web-based English translation) ought to get the news first on the replacement for the Nikon 4500 , but no doubt the guys on this site would dispute that.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 3:45 PM   #3

I need to take the time to read the review of the G5. I just hadn't really see anyone using it for digiscoping, so I wondered.

I've heard of problems with its color rendition, but I don't know if that is a white balance setting problem or really a real inherent problem with the camera.

Thanks for the link. I have a rather extensive collection of digicam sites, but not that one. I'll check it out.

From your comment, it sounds like the ND filter can be turned on/off. Then it shouldn't be a problem.

This site doesn't actually deal in rumors, so I bet the replacement will start croping up in other places first. But this will be one of the first with a review when the NDAs expire.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2003, 9:14 PM   #4

Default rumour

Now you've just started a rumour of the 'existence' of a replacement.
iodine is offline   Reply With Quote