Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Aug 20, 2003, 7:14 PM   #1

Default CP 4500 and ETX 90

I want to thank everyone who gave input on this setup to begin with, especially Lin Evans for all the detailed information on the items I would need and Andy Bright for suggestions and shooting methods. I am pleased with the outcome. Anyone wanting to get into digiscoping with a low startup cost, this is an excellent combination. I in no way consider myself a photographer and have very limited knowledge of camera settings. I have always used auto but following Andy Brights settings, I have been able to capture what I feel to be acceptable images using manual mode. I still have alot to learn and especially need to work on focusing. Here are a few examples. Anyone that might be considering the ETX 90 as an alternative, feel free to ask me any questions and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge. Any comments on the images welcome. They are resized and compressed and Im not much for editing (ie. brightness and contrast)

Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2003, 7:29 PM   #2
djb

the 2nd and 3rd shots a re fairly sharp!!!! what distance were you shooting at and what is the exact setup?

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2003, 7:57 PM   #3

Edit: Added new first image and changed comments to include new image.

The first shot is approximately 15 yards, second shot was about 25 to 30 yards, and the third was only about 10 yards. The first and third shots required some sharpening but not much. None of the shots were in what I would consider optimal lighting. Some of the sharpness issue may be lighting and having to use slow shutter speeds. All the shots are late afternoon and the subjects were in shaded areas. I did catch a little light through the trees on the second shot and was able to get a faster shutter speed.

My setup is the Meade ETX 90, Nikon Coolpix 4500, Williams Optics DCL-28 Eyepiece, 4500 wing, 4500 wing stud, 4500 shutter release arm, extend a view Pro Mini, a 20" release cable and a cheapo tripod. The second shot was actually taken from a small card table with the scope still attached to its base and three little legs. That has since been removed and scope is on a tripod now.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote