Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Sep 30, 2007, 9:33 PM   #1

I have the Nikon Fieldscope III ED model and I was using the coolpix4500, until today I took the camera out of the bag and it just wouldnt turn on.. I replaced the battery and still no luck. I tried the last battery I had and nothing. Soo, after lugging around my DSLR and the 500mm lens all day.. I started to think about what I should replace the CP4500 with...

Currently, I'm using the Fieldscope III ed with a 20-60 zoom eye piece in it as well as a 30x eye piece, I have a mounting plate fora camera (hopefully to re-use) and I do plan to get a newer shutter release cable as well..

Anyone have a suggestion for a newer model camera to use?
Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2007, 2:35 PM   #2

Don't know if it's any help, but I use a D70 with the Nikon adapter. Can't use the eyepieces though, so basically a 1000 mm F14 lens. (Adapter is FLA something, I can dig up the part number if you're interested)
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 7:44 PM   #3

For the best quality Digiscoping I suggest the 12 Meg Canon A-650. It has a handy bayonet mount on the body and is QUITE sharp. Bycomparing the sample pictures on Steve's reviews I say it is sharper than all of the other point and shoot cameras, AND sharper than most of the DSLR cameras. See my several posts on the Forum Digiscope/Microscopic site. Gene Smith of Central Ohio, USA
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2008, 4:05 PM   #4

Let me update my suggestions concerninga digiscoping camera, in light of the last few days.

I just received a Celestron 127 SCT. I found I had trouble filling the frame of my favorite Canon A-720.Perhaps the A-650 would have been even more difficult. I then tried an older Canon A-550 and it worked much better and I could easily fill the frame with image using several different eyepieces.

After talking to Canon I purchased a current A-590, which is an upgrade of the 550. Do not have any pictures yet because I am waiting on an adapter. It shows good promise. The 590 is favored over the 580 because it offers aperture and shutter priority. Do not try to use the I.S. while digiscoping.

These cameras have a handy bayonet mount. An adapter is available.
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:16 PM   #5

If you have been happy with the Nikon CP4500 why not just get another one? There are still some good one's available for around $400 for digiscopers.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote