Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 22, 2002, 7:07 PM   #1

Default CP4500 and Eagle Eye OpticZoom 5x - Dynamite Combo!!

Just tried the Eagle Eye OpticZoom 5x with my CP4500 and found that it not only works, it works beautifully! Also, I put the B-300 1.7x on the end of the OpticZoom 5X to get a grand total of 34X of crystal clear and incredibly sharp image.

Here are links to 1X, 4X, 20X (with OpticZoom) and 34X (OpticZoom plus B-300). That's 38mm, 155mm, 775mm, and a whopping 1317.5mm !!

http://lin-evans.org/4500/1xs.jpg
http://lin-evans.org/4500/4xs.jpg
http://lin-evans.org/4500/20xs.jpg
http://lin-evans.org/4500/34xs.jpg

Lin

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]

Last edited by Lin Evans; Feb 1, 2015 at 4:46 PM.
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2002, 11:06 AM   #2

Very impressive, Lin.
O.K. so what's your reaction to the cp4500? I'm still in two minds (I'm seeing the Doctor about that tomorrow!) vs the cp990. I like the ability to go straight from review to shooting with a half-press of the shutter release button (or release cable plunger).
Andy B
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 11:36 AM   #3

Hi Andy,
My experience mirrors your own. It's definitely a mixed bag. The shoot-from-review is a great feature. Less chromatic aberration than the 990 even with the extended zoom, softer image but seems to take more sharpening without introducing unwanted artifacts. I have some "nits" like the overexposure on auto, and the strap mount on top is right between your index and middle finger when pressing the shutter. The fact that the camera can't "set" without tumbling over. My hand is always in the way of the pop-up flash, etc., and I think Nikon used too much compression in the "fine" mode. I still see artifacts - maybe they can "fix" this in firmware or at least make it optional.

Over all, I like it. I haven't had time to completely digest the manual, but I'm learning more about it daily. There sure are some nice features - like the perspective correction in camera. That alone is worth a bundle to many who shoot buildings, etc. It's definitely the most "feature rich" little camera available. Once Phil gets the new Xtend-a-View for the smaller LCD's I think we might have a winner.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2002, 2:59 PM   #4

I definitely picked up on the over-exposure from the camera's metering. Not a problem to me as I only use manual and then under-expose to get a faster speed, relying on Photoshop....always better to be under exposed than over.
The monitor seems full of little icons now, I know you can view it bare...but it's not convenient and really looks a mess on the tiny screen....the handshake warning is a pain as well.
Just had some A4's back from the printer....certainly notice the difference with 4mp, more than I expected. When sharpened they are pretty big files!! Ironic that the camera is so slow at start-up and writing a pic....1.3mb pic writes a second quicker on the cp990 (no in-camera image enhancement). So much for modern cameras taking advantage of high speed cards?
Lot of chat that the images are better than the cp5000 .....though new owners rarely knock holes in their new purchases.
Los of people asking me if the upgrade from cp9** is worth it....probably not for most digiscopers who don't print big or for publication, though crop to enlarge is obviously better with 4mp.
Hope the camera sells...more viable for marketing third-party add-ons (like monitor shades!!)
Regards,
Andy B
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote