Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Aug 27, 2003, 5:05 PM   #1

Default Digiscope for an Oly C-750uz?

Just wondering if anyone has come accross one that would work well with this camera. I was interested in taking some really good pictures of the moon and possible some other space bodies. Price is definately a consideration as I would like to keep things reasonable. Any suggestions or places to look would be greatly appreciated!
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:17 PM   #2

You "could" use the ScopeTronix Max-40 or Eagle Eye's new eyepiece, but if you are serious, you would be better off to spend your money for even a used Nikon CP950 or 990.

The longer focal length and relatively large objective on your camera works against you for digiscoping because you will have significant vignetting at anything short of full zoom. Because of the long focal length at full zoom, you must greatly limit the power of the eyepiece or you will have insufficient light to photograph anything but the very brightest celestial objects.

In essence, the camera will work against you rather than for you in this case. It has been done, but rarely has anyone been satisfied with the results.

It's really too bad that there isn't a good workable solution for the larger lens cameras with longer zoom. The very thing that makes you camera so nice for everyday use works against you for digiscoping.

Of my numerous digicams which include excellent representation from Olympus (C2500, C2100UZ, E-100RS, C2000Z, E10), Sony (DKC-ID1, DSC-D700, DSC-D770, DSC-S70, DSC-F707, DSC-F717), Nikon (CP950, CP990, CP4500), Canon (D30, 10D, 1D, 1DS, S100, S10, G2), Pentax (Optio S), Epson (Photo PC), Fuji S602Z, Kodak (DCS-760) and a few others, only my CP series Nikons are really suitable for digiscoping and they are all "excellent" at this task.

The SLR's "can" be used with my Meade ETX-90 or with my Swarovski ST80-HD with appropriate attachments, but always you have the equivalent of a "prime" lens which has no "wiggle" room for composing, etc. This is essentially what you would have with about any of today's digicams with larger lenses and available eyepieces for afocal use. Only those digicams with relatively tiny lenses really make adquate digiscoping tools. There are a few digiscopers using other than Nikon digicams, but very few and most eventually give it up and end up buying one the little CP series Nikons simply because they are the best tool presently available for the task.

There are excellent deals available on scopes like some of the older Meade ETX-90 units which don't have the current electronics and computerized tracking and "finding" abilities. ScopeTronix has some left for under $200. Add around $350-$400 for a used CP950/990 and another $85 or so for a good dedicated eyepiece and you have the start of a seriously good digiscoping combination which will let you get dynamite shots of the moon, planets and terrestrial subjects amenable to this approach.

Spend your money for specialized adapters to adapt the larger objectives with long zoom to a scope and you eventually give up and either get discouraged with the whole thing, or spend more money to do it right. We all would love to make our first digicam "work" for everything, but unfortunately there is no one camera which works best for everything. The great fast optics and long zooms which make the Olympus line so useful for normal photography simply work against you for digiscoping. On the other hand the tiny lens which helps make the CP series Nikon work so well for macro work and digiscoping make them less than optimal for low light photography and make one who tries to autofocus in low light envious of the Sony, Olympus, Canon and other cameras which use a different approach.

You just can't get it all in one camera - at least not at the present stage of development.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2003, 11:51 PM   #3

Thanks for all the information there Lin Evans! You have definately given me alot to think about.
tkmckay is offline   Reply With Quote