Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jan 5, 2008, 9:42 PM   #1

I first learned of digiscoping a short time ago, so not knowing much about it I read a little, a lot of whats available on the web is very old.

I didnt know if I would like this, so I decided to try it out on a shoestring at first, Since I already had a small P&S that I thought might work, Pentax A30. I really didnt want to spend too much on a scope at first, and thinking that if I didnt like the hobby, I could still use it for what it was intended. So I searched around on the web and finally decided on a Celestron Ultima 80 that Beach Camera had a good price on, and I ordered a universal mount for the camera from Adorama.

So the scope came in Friday, not the mount though, so I decided to take it out and test it as a scope for birds. Living so close to Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge is a big plus for this, so hop in the car and 10 minutes later I am on Blackpoint Drive, see a lot of birds set up the scope and am impressed with it, so impressed that I invite other people around to come have a look at the Rosetta Spoonbills about 200 yards across the water.

Now whether this combination turns out to be anywhere decent as a digiscope setup is yet to be seen, But I am already reading more and looking for a Nikon CP 4500 to pick up just in case the Pentax doesnt work out.

If anyone has any ideas on this setup please let me know, I am a real newbie at this and know I wont like the current eyepiece, but have no idea what to change it with I know I dont want a zoom eyepiece but they didnt include much info with the scope so I have no idea even what type it will accept or what size it is.

Several days later and I guess I am not going to get any advice, I have emailedquestions to several of thebusinesses claiming to be the digiscoping guru's and no answers from any of them either. guess digiscoping is a dead subject.

2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2008, 6:15 PM   #2

I don't think people are avoiding this - simply that no one is using that particular combination.

The only way to be certain that it will work or not is to try it. Typically, specialized eyepieces are available which have threads to allow the camera to mount to the eyepiece via the filter threads.

If the camera doesn't have filter threads then it will be necessary to search the web for a mechanical mount which attaches to your camera via the tripod mount and to the eyepiece mechanically so as to hold the camera in close mechanical proximity to the eyepiece. But before doing this, just hold the camera right up to your eyepiece and try a few shots of the birds and see how it performs.

If you have bad vignetting when zoomed out then you may want to look for a CP990, CP995 or CP4500 on EBAY. They are known good digiscoping cameras.

If you decide to go with the Pentax and can't find a mounting device try Eagle Eye in the UK. They ship all over the world. Also look at the selection of accessories at Photosolve in Oklahoma. For eyepieces try William Optics or Scopetronix

Let us know how it works out...

Best regards,

Lin

2many wrote:
Quote:
I first learned of digiscoping a short time ago, so not knowing much about it I read a little, a lot of whats available on the web is very old.

I didnt know if I would like this, so I decided to try it out on a shoestring at first, Since I already had a small P&S that I thought might work, Pentax A30. I really didnt want to spend too much on a scope at first, and thinking that if I didnt like the hobby, I could still use it for what it was intended. So I searched around on the web and finally decided on a Celestron Ultima 80 that Beach Camera had a good price on, and I ordered a universal mount for the camera from Adorama.

So the scope came in Friday, not the mount though, so I decided to take it out and test it as a scope for birds. Living so close to Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge is a big plus for this, so hop in the car and 10 minutes later I am on Blackpoint Drive, see a lot of birds set up the scope and am impressed with it, so impressed that I invite other people around to come have a look at the Rosetta Spoonbills about 200 yards across the water.

Now whether this combination turns out to be anywhere decent as a digiscope setup is yet to be seen, But I am already reading more and looking for a Nikon CP 4500 to pick up just in case the Pentax doesnt work out.

If anyone has any ideas on this setup please let me know, I am a real newbie at this and know I wont like the current eyepiece, but have no idea what to change it with I know I dont want a zoom eyepiece but they didnt include much info with the scope so I have no idea even what type it will accept or what size it is.

Several days later and I guess I am not going to get any advice, I have emailedquestions to several of thebusinesses claiming to be the digiscoping guru's and no answers from any of them either. guess digiscoping is a dead subject.

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote