Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jun 9, 2008, 6:44 PM   #1

I am fortunate enough to live in the South with an abundance of wildlife at our farm. I am trying to better understand digiscoping and distance when it comes to wildlife. My main interest is in photographing whitetail deer, but also alligators, turkeys, birds of prey, ducks and herons. Will I be able to get decent close shots at 200 yards, 100 yards? How will a 20x60x82 Nikon spotting scopeperform versus my 300 mm lenson my SLR? Also are the Nikon eyepieces cumulative as far as magnification in addition to the spotting scope (so a 20x eyepiece with that scope will wind up being 40x80)? Thanks in advance for the help.
TScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2008, 8:22 PM   #2

Well a bit late, but here is some information. The maximum useful power you can use (for seeing) to some extent depends upon the sharpness of your eyes. I have a 75 mm. scope and I find that 60 power is too much. A maximum of about 40 is better. High advertised power sells scopes you know. When too much power is used you see a softer image, no more detail, the field of view is smaller, and the image is darker.

I have presented a detailed description of how to test your scope, test your eyes, and determine how much scope power you need to see the maximum detail. See www.ohiobirds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=413 The definition of a given scope is limited by the diameter of the objective no matter how good the quality of the scope. This is also discussed at the above site.

So, how does the magnification of a digiscoped image compare with your DSLR with a 300mm lens? My system is a Canon A-720 camera, a 24 inch focal length scope, and a 20mm Orion Expanse eyepiece. Of course the power of the telescope calculates to be 30X. When used with the camera the focal length was found to be 1200. mm. 35mm equivalent. So, that would be 4X the power of your 300mm lens unit.

For a discussion of digiscoping see my posting of "Quality Digiscoping" at forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=592506&forum_id=68

You may get back to me at Smithhill1@Embarqmail.com Gene Smith
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote