Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:26 PM   #1

I have had good success, and a lot of fun, taking micro-photographs digiscope style. Yes, I started trying to use a dSLR camera with a microscope, but could not get good images.
I then turned to my Canon A-550 camera/eyepiece assembly used for digiscoping with a telescope lens and replaced the lens with a microscope objective. See the following address showing the camera/eyepiece tube assy. and the stand. http://www.ohiobirds.org/forum/attac...amp;download=1
Note the colored LEDs below the stage.

Tip: If you want direct lighting in good color DO NOT try to use LEDs, they are monochromatic and will give you fits even trying to correct color later on your computer. Tungsten "grain of wheat lamps" from the Mini MAG flashlight are neat.

For a discussion of the camera selection, eyepiece, and auto focusing see my earlier post of "Quality Digiscoping". The same camera/eyepiece and mount are used here, with the addition of the added microscope objective.

I purchased a Russian made Lomo Plan 4X objective, and a real gem it is. The "Plan" designation means it has a flat field, and it is FLAT and sharp, the real heart of the system. This is necessary with snow flakes because they are flat also. A couple photos of snow "Columns" have some un-sharpness on the near and far sides because the structures have a greater thickness that the flat flakes.

I was not successful in trying to use a couple different professional microscopes. The reason is probably related to the very small aperture of the microscope compared to a telescope, and the eye lens of a microscope is very small compared with the large 23mm dia. of my favorite Astro Expanse 20mm eyepiece. So, my microscope ended up being the same 2 inch tube mounted to the camera as was used with my telescopes for digiscoping, with an exception being the attachment of the microscope objective to the end of the tube, done with PVC pipe fittings.

Three of the images need some explanation:

One photo shows a black snow needle with typical jagged ends, like a broken stick.
The two snow columns shown are common in cold weather. They are quite small, perhaps 1 mm long, and both the columns and caps are hex shape. Both columns shown are double length, as seen by the center dark plain. One photo shows needles extending in both directions from the hex caps. The other image shows a second column, with cap, growing out of the joining of the double length column.

Hey, I cannot wait for a light snowfall with temperatures in the low 20's, the best combination!
You may contact me for additional information concerning fabrication or whatever.

HERE IS ONE, BUT MY POSTS ARE NOT WORKING PLEASE CHECK AGAIN LATER.

OK, WHILE WE ARE WAITING FOR THE WEB SITE TO BE SET UP WE WILL CHANGE THE PICTURE EVERY DAY FOR A FEW DAYS. HERE IS THE CAPPED COLUMN WITH NEEDLES.

Attached Images

Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:06 PM   #2

Hi Gene,

Beautiful photomicroscopy work! Keep them coming? Pray for snow - LOL.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote