Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:06 PM   #1

I have a Meade ETS 90 set up as a spotting scope and a nikon D70s with the aadapters. I have used the ETX with my nikon 995 and 4300 with good success. I am doing something dumb as I cannot get the set up to work with the D70s. I am using shooting Mode M, manual focus and delayed shutter release however I am missing something. Any suggestions or directions would be greatly appreciated.
ppc Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:26 PM   #2

Only a few cameras have a small enough lens system to work well with digiscoping. The lens SYSTEM must be able to fit inside the cone of light projected by the scope eyepiece. The Nikon 995 was one of them, but they are antiques now. The best camera I know of now for digiscoping is the Canon A650. The is 12 meg. camera is very sharp, in fact, by looking at the sample pictures in Steve's you can see that it is sharper than most DSLRs, including the D-70.

I tried using a DSLR cameras in the prime focus mode with my telescopes and could never get sharp images. That is why I went to digiscoping. I believe the problem is the metal shutter that rattles across the film sensor and causes vibration. There is no such mechanical shutter in point and shoot cameras.

You can tell is a minute if a camera will work digiscope style with a given eyepiece, you do not even need the telescope. Just hold the eyepiece close to the lens and point it toward some light. A better idea is to block it up on a counter to be more stable. You will not get an image, but light should fill the entire frame. A small amount of zoom can help (up to about 1.5) but I do not like to use any.

Digiscoping is your chance to get away from the problems of a DSLR, do not attempt to go backward.

Gene Smith at Smithhill1@Embarqmail.com
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote