Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:47 PM   #1

I admit I know very little about telescopes but several years ago I bought a Televue Pronto scope. Earlier this summer I bought a Panasonic FZ18 camera mailnly for its zoom range. Eventually I started thinking about putting the two together and found this forum and others.

In the little research I've been able to do, it looks like my Panasonic isn't the best choice for matching up with my Televue scope. I've seen the suggestions on the Coolpix cameras and I think the list I saw suggested a Coolpix 800 or higher model number. Looking on the internet I don't see many of those listed, which makes me wonder if that is an older model camera.

I guess my question is can someone recommend a camera that will work with my scope and since I just bought my Panasonic, one that I can get for hopefully less than $200, even if I can pick up a used one.

Thanks,
eswau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2008, 6:23 AM   #2

I have an 8 Meg Canon A-720 that works very well with digiscoping. It is now discontinued but may still be avaivable new for less than $200, certainly used. My latest suggestion is the 12 Meg Canon A-650, but it is $300. They both have a bayonet mount on the body for attachment. See my several posts in the Digiscope/Microscopic section and pictures. Gene9 at Smithhill1@Embarqmail.com Good luck

Added Note: Sept. 17. I have found recently that my Canon A-550 would fill the frame better than the A-720, and can be used with more eyepieces. I then purchased the A-590, since it is an upgrade to the 550. No pictures yet, since I am waiting on an adapter. It is an 8meg. Cost is about $160, less on the net. This does have the handy bayonet mount. Gene
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote