Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 29, 2002, 2:33 PM   #1

Default cp4500 vs 990 comparison pics

Just shot some comparison shots with the cp4500 and cp990. As suspected, very little difference between them...cp4500 less noisy pics and does seem to resolve more than the 990 when the scope is at 30x (as against 20x). May be me jumping to conclusions but perhaps the 3mp 990 isn't resolving all the extra detail that you get at that mag from an 80mm scope. At 20x there isn't anything between them.
pics at http://digiscopingukbirds.homestead....00vscp990.html

Regards,
Andy B,
London
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2002, 7:20 AM   #2

Hi Andy,
Thank's for the comparison shots. It's sometimes difficult to be sure because of individual instrument variables, but it does appear that even at 20X the CP4500 reveals better detail. It's possible that even the default "nil" sharpening of the 4500 might be a tad more aggressive than the 990's, but I suspect it's just the slight additional resolution which is better defining the detail.

It's pretty evident with the Lexar cards shot at 30X, but if you look carefully at the text (the printed name on the little penguin radio on the left as you face the 20x image - and the calibrated numbers printed on the right, you can see some significant difference. Here's a slightly enlarged from 1:1 crop of the relevant areas from your shots - what do you think?

Probably I should try a similar shot with my 990 and 4500 and see if there are any significant individual camera variables or if my results follow yours. I'll try to get something this week for a comparison.

Best regards,

Lin

[Edited on 8-5-2002 by Lin Evans]

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2002, 1:28 PM   #3

Thanks Lin,
I originally put the slightly blurred makers name of the radio down to e.p. curvature/distortion.....but it really should have been worse on the cp4500 that was zoomed out a bit more than the cp990.
The more I use the cp4500, the more I realise that focus and clarity of image is absolutely fine.....Laurence seemed to struggle with the cp4500 he used, but admits it may have been a rogue one with poor focus.
I think I'll stick to the cp4500 for my digiscoping. It's nice to have a second digital (not tied up with the scope)...I can start taking pics of other things instead of the birds.
Regards,
Andy B
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote