Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Nov 12, 2008, 9:57 PM   #1

I am actually the newest of newbies, so please be kind! I just purchased a Nikon Fieldscope ED III 25x75 power 82 mm spotting scope with the intent of taking deer and wildlife photos. My digital camera is a Kodak 5.0 magapixel Easyshare Z740. I held the camera snugly against the spotting scope eyepiece and took a couple of photos. Not much luck. The autofocus struggled for clear focus with limited effectiveness and I had significant vignetting (?) where the image was mostly a black circle. Please offer any comments to get me off on the right track. Thanks in advance! Mykol
Mykol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:43 AM   #2

Check out the Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy forum near the bottom of the forum list. Likely you will find the answer there, and if you don't, that is the best place to ask for further info.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:56 AM   #3
Administrator

I moved this thread there so you'll be more likely to find some answers.

But, from past reading through this forum, it appears that models like the older Coolpix series from Nikon are better able to get around problems that you have mating a spotting scope to a digital camera, due to their lens design.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 7:46 PM   #4

Thanks, BillDrew and JimC. I will check the other forum location as ya'll mention.
Mykol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 7:48 PM   #5

Sort of off topic, but I once connected my Orion Short-tube telescope to my Canon with an adapter.

I ended up with an 400mm F.5 lens.

http://www.telescope.com/control/pro...oduct_id=09946

--- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 2:59 PM   #6

OK, digiscoping help is at hand. I will present a couple of shots so you know I am not blowing smoke at you. Check out my bluebird shot on the posting site:
http://www.NaturePicks1.Gallery1.photoshare.co.nz Click on the bluebird thumb and then or the Original Size to get a large view. Also see my moon shot at: http://www.ohiobirds.org/forum/attac...amp;download=1

These were both digiscoped with an Canon A-series camera. The bluebird shot was taken at about 30 feet with a fabricated 70mm achromatic telescope with a $10 lens, direct from Surplus Shed. The moon picture was taken through my 10 inch diameter Celestron Dob. type astro scope. My all time favorite eyepiece is an Orion Expanse 20mm. The camera that works the best is a Canon A-590. The eyepiece is about $50. and the camera is only about $140. The small refractor scope focal length is about 23 inches and gives me a 1200mm 35mm equivalent
with the 20mm eyepiece. A small amount of zoom and a 15mm eyepiece would give 2000mm equivalent.

Good digiscoping information is hard to come by, much of it on the net is old. A camera is outdated in a couple of years, and few work well for digiscoping. Let me describe camera/telescope combinations that works best and why:

A suitable camera must take a sharp picture by itself, the digiscoped image can be no better. It should have manual controls, including manual focusing. The camera optical sysem must be small enough to fit inside the optical image cone of the telescope eyepiece. Low zoom cameras of only 2 or 4X work best. For mounting it is VERY helpful if the camera has a bayonet mount on the body around the lens. The Canon A series cameras have this.

A suitable telescope eyepiece must have a long eye-relief, and a large eye-lens. The Orion Expanse 20mm eyepiece as a 23mm diameter eye-lens and a 17mm eye-relief.

You can indeed check out the compatibility of an eye-piece and camera by holding the eyepiece in front of the camera to see if you can fill the frame display with light, NOT an image. A small amount of zoom may help, but I do not like to go over about 1.5X, it degrades the image. Faster scopes (smaller f-numbers) work a bit better than slower ones.

Sorry, I do not know the characteristics of your camera and scope eyepiece. Can you replace the eyepiece with the 1 1/4 inch barrel Expanse if it looks like a problem? My two telescopes have 2 inch focusers that accept like diameter metal tubes. My eyepiece is mounted precisely inside the metal tube, that is attached to the camera bayonet mount, and fits the focuser on the other end. I do not think it is suitable to mount any camera from a small 1 1/4 eye-piece. A clamping camera bracket may not be precise enough either.

Camera automatic focusing does not work well with large f-number scopes. Any manual focusing you will want to do from the telescope.

Now a question for other readers: How well does a Lumix LX3 work with digiscoping? Has anyone tried it? Interesting because it is, sharp, small and has limited zoom. Details please. Thanks.
Gene Smith Smithhill1@Embarqmail.com
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2009, 1:00 PM   #7

Well, a year has gone by and I have been very happy with the LX3 for digiscoping. One special condition: the camera must be moved 3/16 of an inch closer to the eyepiece after some initial camera zoom. When the camera resets do not let the front element snub into the eyelens. Bad for both. See my recent LX3 posts. I like to use the Hyperion 13 or 17mm threaded top eyepieces. Gene
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote