Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Sep 16, 2009, 2:08 AM   #1

Default Digiscopic images from Swarovski 80 HD ATS

The following is my digiscoping set-up:

The fieldscope is Swarovski's 80 HD ATS. I have two eyepieces, a 30x and a 45x. The camera for taking the image from the scope is Nikon's CP8400.

The adaptal ring shown above is not Swarovski's DCA. I tailored made it myself. The grip on the eyepiece is much firmer than the DCA's. The length of the adaptal ring can be fine tuned by rotating the outer barrel that bites with screw lines on the inner barrel. Rotation around the central axis can be done by unfastening the two knobs above the ones for fastening the adaptal ring to the eyepiece.

The wooden plank is to enhance the stability of the fieldscope during shooting. A three-point stabilization is used: one at the anterior, one in the middle where the fieldscope is fastened to the plank by a screw and one at the rear end where a tiny piece of wood has been placed in between the white L brackets that grip the fieldscope in place to prevent lateral movement.

I use Manfrotto 501 to support the whole digiscoping setup. It is a video tripod head and its control arm allows for swift adjustment of shooting angles.

I also have a Swarovski TLS 800, a teleconverter that changes the fieldscope to an f10 800mm telephotographic lens.

Here are a few shots taken using the above set up:

a. The 30x-eyepiece has been used

b. The 45x-eyepiece has been used

c. A TLS 800 has been used

wk7leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2009, 11:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk7leung View Post

I also have a Swarovski TLS 800, a teleconverter that changes the fieldscope to an f10 800mm telephotographic lens.

Here are a few shots taken using the above set up:

c. A TLS 800 has been used
Hi wk7leung

Thanks for taking the time to post.

When you use the camera adapter, what camera are you using the Scope with? I find it odd that you get better results with the eyepieces, then the camera adapter.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Hi wk7leung

Thanks for taking the time to post.

When you use the camera adapter, what camera are you using the Scope with? I find it odd that you get better results with the eyepieces, then the camera adapter.

Dave
The camera I use in the above setup is a Nikon CP8400. It takes a Nikon UR-E14 to link it up with the adaptal ring of the fieldscope.
Pete

Postscripts:

The following shows how the UR-E14 links with the camera and the adaptal ring (DCA) of the fieldscope. The link to the image is http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/viewthread.php?tid=801. Photos by Bob Thompson.

Last edited by wk7leung; Sep 16, 2009 at 9:01 PM. Reason: Attaching photos
Old Sep 17, 2009, 3:51 PM   #4

Quote:
The camera I use in the above setup is a Nikon CP8400. It takes a Nikon UR-E14 to link it up with the adaptal ring of the fieldscope.
Pete

Postscripts:

The following shows how the UR-E14 links with the camera and the adaptal ring (DCA) of the fieldscope. The link to the image is http://www.hkbws.org.hk/BBS/viewthread.php?tid=801. Photos by Bob Thompson.
Ahh, my bad. I thought you were referring to a Swarovski camera adapter for an SLR camera. I shoot with such adapters, I have both the 800mm f10 and the 1100mm f13 Swarovski adapters. which allow me to make a direct hook-up to my D2x

Dave
Old Sep 17, 2009, 7:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Ahh, my bad. I thought you were referring to a Swarovski camera adapter for an SLR camera. I shoot with such adapters, I have both the 800mm f10 and the 1100mm f13 Swarovski adapters. which allow me to make a direct hook-up to my D2x

Dave
I checked Post 3 above and could not read the photos attached. If I have time, I will shoot them myself and post them up here again.

Interesting that you have a CONVERTER to change the fieldscope to an f13 1100mm lens. Can you tell me the name of the converter?

Pete
Old Sep 18, 2009, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
I checked Post 3 above and could not read the photos attached. If I have time, I will shoot them myself and post them up here again.

Interesting that you have a CONVERTER to change the fieldscope to an f13 1100mm lens. Can you tell me the name of the converter?

Pete
Swarovski makes these adapters. The TLS 800 or TLS 1100 are the model numbers. I paid almost $300 back in 2001, but checking, I now see the price has gone up to almost $600...

They do provide a firm connection, and you can use the scope as just another lens.

Dave
Old Sep 19, 2009, 2:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Swarovski makes these adapters. The TLS 800 or TLS 1100 are the model numbers. I paid almost $300 back in 2001, but checking, I now see the price has gone up to almost $600...

They do provide a firm connection, and you can use the scope as just another lens.

Dave

I have the TSL800 as mentioned in thread one. As a poor-man 800mm, the quality is highly acceptable. Have no idea how the TLS 1100 performs optically. Here is a shot I took with the 800mm.

Thanks for the information.
Pete
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
I have the TSL800 as mentioned in thread one. As a poor-man 800mm, the quality is highly acceptable. Have no idea how the TLS 1100 performs optically. Here is a shot I took with the 800mm.

Thanks for the information.
Pete
Oh, tasty shot.

The 1100 is if anything sharper then the 800. But I have to give up another f stop, and use it less frequently then the eight.

Dave