Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:28 AM   #1

Default CP4500 and eagle eye - kenko..

I would like to have your opinion regarding this mounting:
As I dont have enough budget to buy a Swarovski HD or Leica type... I wanted to know if it is enough to get good bird pictures (also on flying) the following system:

CP4500 + kenko
or CP4500 eagel eye or crystal vue...

It is possible to add the B 1.7 ?

What would be the final result regarding vineting ?

Does anyone have pictures in this combination where I can see the result?
Thanks a lot for your help
barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2003, 1:02 PM   #2

Hi,

The Eagle Eye OpticZoom available from either:

http://www.photosolve.com In the U.S.

http://www.eagleeyeuk.com In the U.K.

is a great match for the CP4500 and will take the B-300 or TCON-17 added to the end for 1217.5 mm. Images taken this way are very good with this combination.

Below are four images. The first with the 4500 at full wide angle, the second at full 4x zoom, the third at 20x with the Eagle Eye OpticZoom 5x and the fourth with the 5X plus the B-300.

I suggest using a tripod or "bean bag" support when shooting at 20X to 34X. These were hand-held using a post as a support.

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2003, 2:14 PM   #3

Thanks for your comments.
Nice pictures. May I ask you if you have "reframe them" ? Ther was not at all vineting?
And other question, where can I find information about the B-300 and TCON-17?
Thanks again.

PS: Do you have any bird picture taken with the CP4500 and eagle eye + B-300/TCON-17 combination?

Hope I dont ask to much.. but before spending "a lot money" I want to be sure.
Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2003, 3:56 PM   #4

These are full frame, there is no appreciable vignetting with the CP4500, OpticZoom 5x and B-300 at full zoom. '

I don't have a bird shot with this combo handy, but here's one with the OpticZoom, B-300 and my CP990. Some slight shading in corners with the CP990 at full zoom, but not with the CP4500.

Lin

Old Nov 17, 2003, 2:40 AM   #5

Default Nice!

Very nice picture!
How far you were from the bird?
Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2003, 6:24 AM   #6

About 60 feet.

Lin
Old Nov 19, 2003, 7:04 AM   #7

I purchased an Eagle Eye 5 x in the UK and I do see some vignetting with my CP4500. This may be because the model they were selling at that point required a step-down ring.

All the same, the vignetting goes away at about 2x optical zoom, and I'm very happy with their product.

Here's an example.

checklg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2003, 8:28 AM   #8

Default On counting our "blessings".......

Hi Graham,

Yes, the problem with "assumptions" is that what is supposedly "commonly known" sometimes is not :-) In my case I made the assumption that everyone already understands about "vignetting" with fixed lens cameras and telephoto (monocular) add-ons.

When using an add-on telephoto with fixed lens digicams or film cameras, there will always be some vignetting at wide angle. In all but the most favorable combinations, this vignetting will be present untill full zoom in (maximum telephoto). It's rare to have a situation where even at full zoom there is not some shadowing which is why the CP series, and expecially the CP4500 is such a unique and great camera to use telephoto adapters with.

For example, the majority of the larger lens digicams can't use more than about a 2X zoom tele at all. Getting 3x to be vignette free takes some serious design work. Going to 5x and even 8x is very difficult with the little monocular type add-on tele's and the CP series Nikons are some of the few cameras which can actually "see" through the eyepiece of "most" telescopes and allow incredibly good "digiscoping."

The CP4500, as you have correctly determined, lets the user zoom back a great deal without serious vignetting with a number of these adapters. Owners of different brand digicams would often give their "firstborn" to have such versatility.

As moderator of the digiscoping forum here, I hear requests frequently for digiscoping "solutions" for cameras like the Olympus, Fuji, Canon, etc., cameras and have, through the years, watched numerous trial and error situations fail to produce satisfactory results. I myself have tried any number of different combinations with my many (I collect digicams as a hobby) digital cameras numbering over 25 presently. We are so fortunate that Nikon has maintained these tiny lens jewels for so many years in the face of continual pressure to "compete" with the low light level performance of other manufacturers.

Specialized photography such as macro and telephoto require that some compensations be made elsewhere, and Nikon has "owned" telephoto and macro "performance" for many years now. Other's have taken alternate routes to attempt to compete with Nikon's dominance in these areas. For example Olympus and Canon went to the 10X optical zoom stabilized lens with the C2100UZ, E-100RS and Pro 90 cameras. Fuji now has gone to a 12X and even 12x stabilized lens optical zoom lens with large digital zoom to try and satisfy the "zeal" for long range telephoto. These are "solutions," but fail to reach the incredible versatility of these little CP series Nikons which can be used to get incredible shots at up to 6000 mm (35mm equivalency.) by shooting afocal with spotting scopes and celestial type telescopes. We are truly blessed to have these opportunities!

Best regards,

Lin