Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Nov 20, 2003, 10:24 AM   #1

Default Meade ETX 90 and Coolpix 4500

Hi All,

I'm planning to purchase the Meade ETX 90 (based on Lin Evans advice) which comes with a standard 26mm eyepiece as a package.

1. Would like to know if the eyepiece quality is good for digiscoping.
2. Any vignetting at wide angle or certain limit of camera zoom?
3. I'm looking for a suitable attachment kit to fit the Nikon 4500 with the standard eyepiece. Any recommendation?
4. Have also heard that DCL28 is better than the standard eyepiece
Anyone have any experience on this?

Best regards
Rizal
Rizal2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2003, 2:07 PM   #2

Sorry, but the standard 26 mm eyepiece haven't helped me much. There is a website http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html which will help you a lot.

Tests of pieces etc. Myself I use the ETX90ec with a 11 mm eyepiece and my Canon Ixus v3, all coupled with an adapter I purchased in Luton UK, passing through there this summer, my daughter has the lap top with the web address to those people so I cant help you before xmas on that one. Using ths setup is ok, but I am looking to get an electronich focusing device to the ETX as it is both disturbing and difficult to do it manually.

Stein
stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2003, 8:12 AM   #3

Hi Rizal,

Yes, you can use the 26mm eyepiece with an appropriate adapter. There are a number of them available. Check Eagle Eye in the U.K., or the London Camera Exchange (LCE) for adapters.

My suggestion, however, would be to get either one of the ScopeTronix eyepieces or the William Optics DCL-28. You will have vignetting even with the ScopeTronix or William Optics eyepieces at full wide angle, but you will have much more zoom range with these than with the standard Meade 26mm eyepiece.

The William Optics or ScopeTronix eyepieces are designed for digiscoping and are threaded to screw directly to the 28mm filter threads on your CP4500 or other CP series Nikon camera. Because of this, they need no other mechanical adapter to hold the camera in proximity to the eyepiece. On conventional eyepieces, like the Meade 26mm, you must have something which threads to the camera on one side and clamps over the eyepiece on the other. Either the William Optics DCL-28 or ScopeTronix equivalent are much better solutions for digiscoping, but you definitely "can" use the Meade eyepiece provided with the ETX-90.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote