Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:08 PM   #1

Default Need advice for digisoping set-up

Hi, i did some digiscoping a few years back with a canon s1 and a leica spottingscope, made myselve a adapter using a pvc tube mounted on the camera lens adaper. Took mostly waterfowl pictures.

Unfortunately yhe scope wa not mine... when i left the reserve i worked in... so did my chances to digiscope...

Now i am wanting to buy my own set-up.

I have a canon S5IS (but have read these cameras do not serve the purpose well) and a Sony N2.
I am looking for a 200-300 $ scope and a corresponding adapter...

was looking at the Vortex Impact 70mm scope (sell at 200$) and a corresponding adapter.

Does anyone know this scope? Have any suggestions for other setups (with my cameras)?

Thanks a lot.
marekgrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2010, 4:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marekgrote View Post
Hi, i did some digiscoping a few years back with a canon s1 and a leica spottingscope, made myselve a adapter using a pvc tube mounted on the camera lens adaper. Took mostly waterfowl pictures.

Unfortunately yhe scope wa not mine... when i left the reserve i worked in... so did my chances to digiscope...

Now i am wanting to buy my own set-up.

I have a canon S5IS (but have read these cameras do not serve the purpose well) and a Sony N2.
I am looking for a 200-300 $ scope and a corresponding adapter...

was looking at the Vortex Impact 70mm scope (sell at 200$) and a corresponding adapter.

Does anyone know this scope? Have any suggestions for other setups (with my cameras)?

Thanks a lot.
Never heard of the Scope (which means nothing) But here's a page from B&H chock full of Vortex Scopes and adapters. Perhaps there are customer reviews on the page...

spotting scopes

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the very informative link. On clicking on a given scope it shows the adapter needed for digiscoping.

I have another cuestion, my Canon S5 has a Adaptertube with 58mm ring for filters and stuff, what would the eyepiece diameter of the scope have to be to fit? Are the adapterings to eventually downscale the 58 mm to fit?
I like the S5 a lot, so the posibility of scoping with it would please me enormously!

Thanks
marekgrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marekgrote View Post
Thanks for the very informative link. On clicking on a given scope it shows the adapter needed for digiscoping.

I have another cuestion, my Canon S5 has a Adaptertube with 58mm ring for filters and stuff, what would the eyepiece diameter of the scope have to be to fit? Are the adapterings to eventually downscale the 58 mm to fit?
I like the S5 a lot, so the posibility of scoping with it would please me enormously!

Thanks
I digiscope with an SLR, and for that kind of set-up many manufacturers have a specific camera adapter. Check out the digiscope adapter made by Swarovski, that might be the answer - Either that or someone else who uses these kinds of adapters will have to comment.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 1:16 PM   #5

Hi Marek!

I suppose you are not an english native speaker, so my guess is that you might be in Europe.

Some German links (the later links are to a company where I met the boss on an astro meeting, and did exchange some mails with him, so I know he is a decent bloke, and there are some english pages on their site as well).

Leica Spotting scopes-I am lusting for one for some time now.
http://www.juelich-bonn.com/site/spektiv/leica/
(if you can read German, that helps ;-)
http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/...otografie.html
http://www.telescope-service.com/#nature
http://www.telescope-service.com/spo...tingstart.html
I own one of their own brand scopes, and it is quite a bargain for the price, and I had never trouble ordering from them, I have one of their binoculars as well. So if you are in Europe, they might be worth a try.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited by RealMash; Feb 19, 2010 at 1:40 PM.
RealMash is offline   Reply With Quote