Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old May 28, 2010, 5:33 PM   #1

Default New Nikon ED III Fieldscope old Coolpix 950

I'm looking for advice, having spent hours trawling the web.

I have a Nikon ED III fieldscope with the 20-60 zoom eyepiece (angled) and an old Coolpix 950 and am wanting to use the two for digiscoping.

The 950 has the tripod mound on the body (lcd) portion - so mounting the camera via the 28mm lens thread would seem the best bet.

Unfortunately, Nikon no longer sell adapters for this purpose (FSA-2, FSA-3 and F/S CP9xx)

What would the group suggest ? I'm more an occasional user as opposed to an enthusiastic user if that helps with recommendations.
stuartofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2010, 5:50 PM   #2
Administrator

I thought I was the only one hanging around here that still had a working Nikon Coolpix 950. :-)

I don't know the answer to your questions. So, hopefully others with a lot more knowledge than I have will respond with some suggestions (as I have no digiscoping experience with one).

BTW, welcome to the Forums!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 6:24 PM   #3

Thanks Jim --
It was my first digital camera and somehow managed to survive where others had failed. I chased the mega pixels and such and now use a 4/3 Olympus. The 950 would seem to be a perfect fit for occasional digiscoping and it would just 'seem right' using it again.
stuartofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 7:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartofoz View Post
Thanks Jim --
It was my first digital camera and somehow managed to survive where others had failed. I chased the mega pixels and such and now use a 4/3 Olympus. The 950 would seem to be a perfect fit for occasional digiscoping and it would just 'seem right' using it again.
I know nothing about your camera...

However, they make adapters for any possible camera, with or without threads.

Here are two links to get you started.

DIGISCOPING.co.uk - Sponsored by London Camera Exchange

ScopeTronix Quality Astronomy Products

There are places in the US which will sell you almost anything mentioned in the above sites.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2010, 3:17 PM   #5

Default coolpix 950 adapter

I use the scopetronix maxview plus kit to adapt my coolpix 950 to my microscope. works fine
blockb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:19 AM   #6

Default New Low Cost Camera

I just would not spend time and effort with that 2 meg camera. Get a new Lumix FH1 for $119 USD, called FS10 in UK. Good image AND it digiscopes with about any old eyepiece you can find. A zoom eyepiece is NOT as good as a prime, you lose quality and eyerelief, but, the FH1 will rescue you.

You can easily add a body mounted threaded ring for a tube attachment to the eyepiece. You would have to rig the eyepiece attachment. At Only 146 grams the camera can easily hang on the eyepiece.

I use the Baader Hyperion eyepieces with the 1 1/4 mount. Good quality for digiscoping, a threaded top for mounting, and only $119. Do not know if you can have an attachment made to mount to the Nikon scope. Good luck, Gene
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote