Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jan 4, 2004, 5:32 PM   #1

Default Jerry-rigged digiscope (ETX 90EC + Canon A60)

Well, I've been impatient about getting a good adapter to connect my Canon Powershot A60 to my Meade ETX-90EC. I've mostly been eying the Scopetronix Digi-T kit.

Well, my impatience led me to see what it's like to manually hold up the camera to my eye piece. I had vignetting, so I tried to zoom in to the 3x zoom of the camera. Perfect. It just chopped out the edges of the eye piece.

Now, how to get it to stay there. It was too shaky to take any decent pictures. So, I looked for a way to keep the camera held up to the eye piece. I left the rubber guard on it. It allowed for a nice cupping of the camera lens to the eye piece. So, I built something to hold it out of a wire hanger. I didn't like that. It didn't feel very secure. So, I took some large rubber bands. Perfect. Held it right in place.

Just with 3x zoom of camera:

With 3x zoom on telescope with 15mm eye piece:

I used the 10 sec timer on the camera to let the shaking die down from when I press the shutter button. Now to see how this works on Saturn tonight. Not bad for a rubber band. Will be better when I get something real, I hope.

-Alex
diverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2004, 5:51 PM   #2

And here is another one. The first picture is the same as the one above, but cropped in. The second is with the same scope, but with a 6.4mm eyepiece. The small opening on the eyepiece results in some vignetting, despite the camera being zoomed in all the way. Still not bad for taking a picture of Saturn.

I'm excited. Can't wait until dark.

-Alex
diverman is offline   Reply With Quote