Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old May 1, 2011, 7:23 AM   #1

Default going to try digiscoping

so i have decided to dive in and give this digiscoping a try i know the more you spend the better optics you will get however not being made of money i like to try things on a budgit a low one saying that

i know not to expect miracles and i will need a lot of patience as it will be trial and error but i will update this thread when i finally crack some shots.

i will be using my nikon d90 as the camera and a 20 -60 -80 spotting scope not an exspensive one but i got the scope and attachment for 160 gbp new from a optics shop a few miles from my house all i need now is a t2 mount then i will be on my way i hope.

my house backs onto green belt land with plenty of wildlife to practise on so at least i can start from the comfort of my own home (open a window)

any advice for a newb.? hope to post some pictures soon

Last edited by simple; May 2, 2011 at 5:05 AM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2011, 1:57 PM   #2

i set the tripod up yesterday and stuck the scope on it and free held a little compact camera at the viewing end, trying to push it up tight and hold it in place
i was shaking like mad and moving it all over the place and trying to focus the telescope with the other hand at the same time..... remember this is just me screwing around and not having the right fixings or using my intended camera and also on auto on the compact ..... meaning not being able to securley fix the camera or to set the f number or iso etc or other anyway here is what the outcome was lmao

how far the horses are just took normal from above the scope

from down the scope i guess it counts as my first digiscope'd image

i really cant wait for my fixing to come so i can use my dslr
Old May 4, 2011, 2:12 PM   #3

well i tried again today using my dslr i still havent got the t2 mount yet but held my camera free hand again with a 50mm lens at a distance of 18 metres from the feeder

this was hard work 30 shots to get this one .... i tried loads of settings to get this something like i also have run it through photoshop as there was loads of noise in the picture .
i really dont know how this t2 mount will work when it turns up

Last edited by simple; May 4, 2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old May 5, 2011, 11:15 AM   #4

ok my t2 mount arrived today just spent 10mins with it the sky is overcast at the minute looks like it is going to rain .

i set the iso to 1600 - 2000 shutter speed 100 the white balance i dont know i just had it on direct sunlight??
still learning i have been told bright days are best to digiscope was worried about vignette but there was zero with the t2 mount

anyway my two shots until the weather improves and i do lol

Last edited by simple; May 5, 2011 at 11:18 AM.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:18 PM   #5

A shame you didn't buy a Scope with a camera adapter. When used and connected, it works in the same manner as a normal manual lens.

As it is you're doing fine. I would recomend keeping it at the 20x magnification. Try to keep the ISO as low as possible.

Is "Visonary" the brand or model name? I'll try to find out a bit about this scope, if you can tell me who makes it...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 12:38 AM   #6

hi dave thanks for your comment .... yeah visionary is the make they are low buget i did not want to over spend and realized it was not for me there is an adapter that is just a tube that connects via a t2 that i have. i have also just ordered a 52 mm to tmount adapter so i can try using my 50mm f1.8 aswell as the adapter to see if there is any diference as i will be able to set the f number?

Visionary V80 ST 20-60x80
The V80 ST telescope features BAK4 prisms fully multi coated lenses and an angled eyepiece.They are fully water proof 10year guarantee.
http://www.opticalhardware.co.uk/visionary-scopes.htm

as fo the makers not sure i think they are mass produced china imports?

Last edited by simple; May 7, 2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old May 7, 2011, 2:12 PM   #7

I would have gone with the Meade, ETX 90. Since you're using a tripod anyway, it would have allowed a direct connection to the SLR, without any problems associated with these other connections or multiple lenses.

Meade SLR Camera Adapter 07363 B&H Photo Video

meade etx-90 at

Dave
Old May 14, 2011, 11:37 PM   #8

chato my 52mm to tmount adapter arrived yesterday i can now connect my 50mm f1.8 to the scope it works much better than just attaching the camera as i now gain more light as i can set the camera to f1.8 i know it wont be accurate but you can tell the difference instantly
Old May 26, 2011, 7:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
chato my 52mm to tmount adapter arrived yesterday i can now connect my 50mm f1.8 to the scope it works much better than just attaching the camera as i now gain more light as i can set the camera to f1.8 i know it wont be accurate but you can tell the difference instantly
I can't wait to see the results. While my Swarovski is still working fine, when it goes, I wont be able to afford a new one...

Dave
Old May 29, 2011, 8:29 AM   #10

just having bad waether at the moment either always dull or raining SWAROVSKI is top end glass not like my elcheapo