Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jan 22, 2004, 9:49 PM   #1

Default First attempt at digiscoping

WhooHoo.
I finally got all the bits needed to mount the Nikon 5400 to my scopes.

Redpoll(I think) in niger seed and snowstorm

Equipment used:
Skywatcher 80mm F5 refractor.
Celestron eyepiece projection T-mount adapter
25mm SkyWatcher Plossel eyepiece
NextPhoto T-mount to Nikon ur-e8 adapter
Nikon Ur-e8 adapter
Nikon 5400 camera
lense extended to 24mm (116mm / 35mm equivelent))
iso 50, 1/64s, F5.2
Manfrotto 055c tripod
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2004, 4:41 PM   #2

Nice - how far were you from the bird ?

(I think you need to do some editing on shots like this!)
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2004, 10:06 PM   #3

Yes, I agree I was thinking of croping out the circle, and removing most of the seed that looks messy.
Like I said my first attempt at this, so I just left it as it was taken.

For distance I'd guess maybe 20 meters at most, the bird is about the size of a parakeet. And seems to look disgusted about something. Probably the nonstop snow and cold snap we have been having the last week.

Can't wait to try this again when the sun comes out, someday.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 12:03 PM   #4
DBB

Hi Roger

The image does need some additional processing and this has nothing to do with the circle.

However - Why do you have a circle at all?

When I first started digiscoping I purchased an adapter to allow me to use the eyepiece that came with the scope as opposed to buying the scope made adapter eyepieces. While I eventually dropped the whole idea and purchased the camera adapters I found the following:

The first time I used the scope with the adapter for the eyepiece I also was shooting with a circle. I then shoved the eye piece closer to the camera and the circle disappeared.

With the special camera adapter - Meaning a special eyepiece - The question of a circle becomes academic.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2004, 8:20 PM   #5

? you mean Peter ??
Yes I agreed and said it needed to be cleaned up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBB
Hi Roger

The image does need some additional processing and this has nothing to do with the circle.
Vignetting depends on the focal length of the eyepiece and the camera's lense extension as well.

This was with a 25mm eyepiece that came with the scope, and with the camera's lense fully extended to max zoom, the lense and eyepiece were just touching each other.

To get rid of the vignetted circle with this camera a much wider eyepiece would be needed maybe a 32mm or more probably a 40mm.
Probably the reason scopetronix sells a digiscoping eyepiece that wide.
However I am not about to buy any of that stuff, I rather prefer to DIY if possible.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 4:11 PM   #6

Guys guys! Ligthen up! The guy was trying to share his joy at a _first successful attempt_.
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 2:44 PM   #7
DBB

Hi Nickagain

I'm not trying to be "hard" on him. He posted a picture and I assume wanted comments????

I really can't see anyone one of these posts as remotely a flame.

I would like to add one comment. A GOOD digiscope setup can actually get finer details then any lens. My Sawarski has better optics then a lens. The trade off of course being the lack of f-stop, depth of field, ect, ect.

But it's something to keep in mind as we all go out and take pictures.

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 5:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBB
Hi Nickagain

I'm not trying to be "hard" on him. He posted a picture and I assume wanted comments????

I really can't see anyone one of these posts as remotely a flame.

I would like to add one comment. A GOOD digiscope setup can actually get finer details then any lens. My Sawarski has better optics then a lens. The trade off of course being the lack of f-stop, depth of field, ect, ect.

But it's something to keep in mind as we all go out and take pictures.

Dave
I don'lt want to alienate anyone, because I am trying to learn this. But it does not need to be a flame to be more or less crushing to somebody who is showing their joy at their first success.

I can see that we don't all sit around and say "wonderful!"! "God you're clever!" and all that, and healthy cirticism is never astray even if unwelcome.

It just seemed a bit imbalanced. Sort of "Hey guys! Here's my first success!" "Hmpph! Bit dark round the edges"

And you might have got the guy's name right <G>

Like many others, I cannot afford Swarovski stuff BTW. The only pair of Swarovski binocs I looked cost tewice as muchj as my camera. I cannot justify that much expense.
Nickagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 8:35 PM   #9

This was a good first attempt at digiscoping. It takes a lot of practice and experimentation to make your system work reliably.
I shoot as many frames as I can with different settings to get the one or two I can use.
Light has everything to do with nature photography. When you get good light the subject seems to glow with color. Usually mid-morning and late afternoon, but you often get low light opportunities and that is where the big lens and digital camera excel. Post processing can often save marginal photos.
I am new to digiscoping myself and I have never had more fun with photography. It does take some patience but it can be very rewarding.
There are all sorts of camera-scope combinations. I have seen some spectacular Celestron C90 shots out of a car window! A lot of digiscopers make their own adapters, shutter releases etc. Google on digiscoping and bird watching and you can get all sorts of information and tips.
Good luck and good birding.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote