Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 1, 2012, 4:06 PM   #1

Default Digiscoping: What is and what isn't

Your turn VTphotog.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2012, 4:36 PM   #2

Since our Vermont photographer has chosen to ignore the thread he gave the title to, I will be the first to comment.

Digiscoping is to the digital camera what afocal photography is to the film photographer: The photographing of a subject through the eyepiece of a telescope.

What is NOT digiscoping is the use of any camera body which is attached to a fixed focal length lens (prime focus photography) or a varible focal length lens (zoom photography). Both are commonly refered to simply as photography.

Let the negative positions begin!

Last edited by Streets; Jul 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 1:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
Since our Vermont photographer has chosen to ignore the thread he gave the title to, I will be the first to comment.

Digiscoping is to the digital camera what afocal photography is to the film photographer: The photographing of a subject through the eyepiece of a telescope.

What is NOT digiscoping is the use of any camera body which is attached to a fixed focal length lens (prime focus photography) or a varible focal length lens (zoom photography). Both are commonly refered to simply as photography.

Let the negative positions begin!
Quote:
Both are commonly refered to simply as photography.
To tell you the truth, with the exception of threads like this, I ALWAYS refer to what I do as "photography." Not once have I said to anyone, whether my scope was hooked up to a digcam or an SLR, "That I'm a digiscoper."

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:24 PM   #4

I think that what we are missing here is a forum titled "AFOCAL PHOTOGRAPHY". Only then will we know that there is something unusual to look at, and not just your everyday photographic effort. The "HDR'" forum is an example. No one seems to redefine HDR as they do Digiscope.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:14 PM   #5

Sorry I missed the start of this. Busy with new-old motorcycle.
I mostly agree with the definition Streets gives. The name implies use of a telescope (and a telescope is something you can put to your eye to see farther).
Back before digital cameras, I got some photos of an Annular Eclipse, using a telescope to project the solar image onto a screen , and took the photos with my 35mm SLR. Now, if I had done this with a digital camera, would this be digiscoping?

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Sorry I missed the start of this. Busy with new-old motorcycle.
I mostly agree with the definition Streets gives. The name implies use of a telescope (and a telescope is something you can put to your eye to see farther).
Back before digital cameras, I got some photos of an Annular Eclipse, using a telescope to project the solar image onto a screen , and took the photos with my 35mm SLR. Now, if I had done this with a digital camera, would this be digiscoping?

brian
Street defines "digiscoping" as hooking a telescope up to a digicam which has a lens. Digiscoping therefore consists ONLY of using such a digicam with a scope.

Doing what I do; i.e. substituting a telescope for the lens in an SLR, he calls AFocal photography. This was the old definition of using such a "lens" with a film camera. I have no idea if anyone hooked up a fixed lens P&S film camera to a scope - It almost certainly did occur...

There lies the disagreement, which has resulted in 7 fatalities, and 24 seriously injured people, so far...

Dave
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:17 PM   #7

I have used my old film SLR, with 50mm lens, at the eyepiece of a coin-op telescope to take some shots. The vignetting was terrible, and the smog didn't help, but I was able to get detail such as microwave antennae from across the city.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2012, 1:16 PM   #8

Finally! Someone who gets it. If a camera has a lens attached and photographs a subject through the eye piece of a telescope it is afocal photography. There are two types of afocal photography; film and digital, with the latter also refered to as digiscoping. Thanks for entering the fray, Brian
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Finally! Someone who gets it. If a camera has a lens attached and photographs a subject through the eye piece of a telescope it is afocal photography. There are two types of afocal photography; film and digital, with the latter also refered to as digiscoping. Thanks for entering the fray, Brian
Xerox from time to time trys to go to Court to deny anyone the right to claim that they are selling a Xerox machine...

They lose...

Dave