Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Aug 17, 2002, 3:40 AM   #1

Default Nikon digiscoping set-up + Leica set-up

I had a chance to look at the Nikon digiscoping combination yesterday...all Nikon (scope/adapter/camera). Their own adapter seemed very good, having a fixed mount over the eyepiece and another small section on the camera lens that mates easily with it. Unsuitable, presumably, with other makes of e.p. because Nikon have some very odd shaped e.p's.
For those with an eye for the technical details of digiscoping, Nikon have a digiscoping leaflet with all the f# for given Nikon scopes/e.p's with the current Nikon cameras (at full zoom). Some example are.
Coolpix 4500 + 60mm Fieldscope with 30xW MC eyepiece gives 4,650mm at f16.
Coolpix 4500 + 80mm spotting scope (RAII) with 33x W eyepiece gives 5,115mm at f13.2
Coolpix 4500 + 78mm Fiieldscope (ED78) with 75xW eyepiece gives 11,625mm at f30.3
Figures for other cameras were given, but I thought the 4x optical zoom on the cp4500 be more relevant. Cp885 and cp5000 were also given.

Also had a good examination of the Leica set-up (AP077, adapter and Digilux 1 camera). It didn't inspire me! Only a 20x e.p. was suitable...and then it had vignetting all the way except max wide angle on the camera. Even their example digiscoped prints looked poor (cropping one to remove vignetting, not bothering on another). Shutter-lag was said to be very good on the Leica camera, zoom seemed awkward to use from a digiscoper's point. Given that the camera is only 4mp and bigger and far more expensive than the cp4500......no real reason to buy one imho and don't expect 'made in Germany' stamped on it, Panasonic/Japan seems more likely (do Leica make any non film equipment in Germany? most of their sporting optics are made outside of Germany these days).
Regards,
Andy B
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2002, 9:39 AM   #2

Thank's for the report, Andy!

The Nikon setup sounded like they are finally taking a look at what the competition has gained on them and, duhh... there IS a market for this application....

I met a gentleman at one of our local camera stores who uses the Leica 77 and just bought a Leica digicam to use with it. His experience was exactly what you reported - moderate vignetting at even full zoom with the 20X. He was listening to a conversation between me and one of the salesmen who was interested in the CP4500 and hadn't seen it yet. I had mine along and by the time we were finished, the man was headed to the only store in town which carried the CP4500 in stock to buy one! He just couldn't believe how well it worked with telescopes, etc.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2002, 4:45 PM   #3

I felt a bit sad for the Leica guys trying to sell this set-up, it was obvious to everyone that it was miles behing the Nikon camera for digiscoping (their prints were laughable)....I am also worried about the inevitable few who will be lured by the name and assume it wll be great for digiscoping (you know someone and I know someone but there'll be lots more).
Didn't manage to catch-up with Carlo.....he was doing digiscoping lectures for much of the time, but I did speak to the glamorous girls on his stand (he knows how to sell!). Also saw big prints of my pics on his stand....bit of a surprise, as I forgot that I sent a cd to him earlier in the year.
Andy B
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2002, 7:46 AM   #4

Hi Andy,
I think you're right. It's too bad that Leica degrades their own equipment by offering this as a solution. The camera and the scope are both excellent for their own purposes, but not a match made in heaven for sure! If Leica is serious about providing a digiscope solution, they should design a compatible camera rather than "ride on the coat-tails" of the success of pairing the Nikons with the Leica.

Glad to hear Carlo had some eye candy to go with the great products ;-) I'll bet the prints of your CD looked great on the stand. Probably not a bad way to start a conversation with the crew either!!

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote