Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Nov 25, 2012, 3:20 PM   #1

Default set up / build help

I would like to build two set ups off the same camera, one would be more like a traditional digiscoping build with a Leupold Ventana sx-1 on a Nikon universal tripod base and a Nikon Coolpix aw100 camera, i want to be able to shoot video of my targets at the gun range out to distances of 600 yards, with this set up. I also want to be able to shoot video when I'm hunting out to distances of 100 yards or so, maybe more but rarely, This system is a little more difficult in my opinion because of the weight and size constraints i am imposing on my self, i was thinking of mounting a second rifle scope to the existing scope and then using an adapter to attach the camera to it. but it gets a little clunky? i guess. but it would allow me control the rifle and the camera at the same time. I also considered having the same setup on a tripod but i can't control both at one time. I have seen setups where the camera is placed over the primary scope but i am not sure i like that idea. Anyway if anyone has any ideas or recommendations for either set up let me know! Thanks!
dgitzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:36 PM   #2

I have toyed with the idea of using a small camera between the scope and my eye when shooting, but that would mean forward mounting the scope, and using high rings. Of course, the camera LCD would make for a very nice view of the target. (as long as the batteries hold out) My main concern, though, is the ability of the camera to take the recoil. Since you mention 600 yards, I guess you are not using a small caliber, so that would be a consideration for you also. Maybe one of the small, waterproof cameras that is also fairly shock resistant would work.
Overall, I think that the first setup you mention is the more practical.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:03 PM   #3

Well the 600 yards would be a traditional setup with a spotting scope for videoing at the range and not attached to a rifle. the one on the gun Would take some recoil that's why i am considering an AW100 Which is shock resistant from 3 feet, but i don't think it will take much more shock then that on the rifle. I was thinking that the camera bracket would swing the camera away from the scope until i swung it back and turned it on this would allow me to turn on the camera and swing it into position if time allowed and if not then i could just use the scope to sight the target. I guess i was wondering if anyone has ever used maybe a monocular instead of the rifle scope or has attached a second scope or???
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:24 PM   #4

The eye relief of the scope is going to be the major obstacle, the way I see it. If you mount the scope to use normally, the camera is going to be too close, and smack you in the face when you shoot. If you mount it so you can use the camera, the scope is going to be too far forward to use by itself, unless there is something like an auxiliary eyepiece that can be attached. Just thinking out loud here.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:07 PM   #5

Yeah i agree eye relief is gonna be a huge problem it's like 4.5 inches which pretty much puts it in my nose. Also the size is just to large i think. i am gonna try a mini digiscope set up. I have a Tachyon Camera that just isn't up to the task as a stand alone but may be if i mix it with a monocular it will i found this thing and it will be fun to try and make work and for the price (10.00) it's worth a shot.

http://club.dx.com/reviews/videos/73486/19734

http://www.tachyoninc.com/guncam.php

http://www.tachyoninc.com/sports-bowhunting.html

I have attached some links to the camera and the mono, you can see it's decent video just not much range

Last edited by dgitzler; Nov 26, 2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:34 AM   #6

Why shoot videos of your targets? Since you normally walk to your targets and remove them when finished, why not just photograph them? Better yet, use a pencil and jab the hell out of the ten ring and show your friends your expertise at marksmanship.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 8:33 PM   #7

LOL I shoot long range steel at 500+ yards, i am hoping to catch the vapor trail on video if possible and to improve the power of my spoting scope by useing digital zoom and give myself a bigger screen to look at. plus it's just cool to have video of me stabbing the target with a 7.62 MM Pencil
Old Dec 5, 2012, 7:34 PM   #8

I don't know if you heard this story but I'll tell you no matter.

I lady reporter once asked a Texas Ranger "why do you carry a Colt .45?"

He responded "because, mam, they don't make a Colt .46".

Texans are the world's best long range shooters. The have to be because it's so flat that critters can see you coming from miles away.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:03 PM   #9

I guess you people do not know you cannot digiscope through a scope sight eyepiece, at least not the one I have. Gene
Gene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:53 PM   #10

nice one streets...

Gene why would you not be able to digiscope through a rifle scope? you have to overcome eye relief but it is possible. unless you have some exotic reason why it won't work on yours.