Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Feb 14, 2004, 6:37 PM   #1

Default Fuji / Mighty Midget Digiscope

I have a Fuji S5000 and am extremely happy with it. however after a few weeks of searching forums it seems to be less than appropriate for digiscoping (Big Lens Big Zoom) i have looked long and hard for a scope to match my Fuji and i have taken a liking to the Mighty Midget 2.again i have seen mixed reviews about this scope. My scope budget is limited (200 pounds).but i donít want to waste time & money on a non starter. I am an engineer so i have no restriction on making adaptors if i need to. Go easy on my Fuji please

Many Thanks

Grant Cumming :?:
Scotland
mrcumming is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2004, 9:07 PM   #2

Grant -

I use a Fugi s7000 (big lens, big zoom) with a scopetronix Maxview 40 adapter and a Pentax 80ED scope. I get some vignetting with this combination but I can crop this out and still have plenty left for printing. Most scopes loose a lot on the perimiter of the image anyway, so in most cases vignetting is not a problem for birding.
Getting accurate focus and accurate color is much more of a problem for less expensive scopes.
Also comsider how portable you want your set-up to be. The smaller lighter scopes give you much better mobility and most of the performance and usually cost a lot less.
Bring your camera in to the scope shop and hold it up to the eyepiece to give it a test.
Good luck in your effort.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:00 PM   #3

You might want to read this:

http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/sho...php?product=37

Quote:
My first scope. Bought with the 25x mm2 eypiece.
Very easy to use with a lightweight tripod so is the ideal travel scope. I would recommend some kind of stay-on-case to protect against dust and water.
It is not easy to use the dedicated 25x mm2 eyepiece for digiscoping ( Glass rather small ).
I later bought an ES80 with 32X HDF eyepiece and then changed to a 20-60 HDF zoom. And put the HDF fixed eypiece on the MM2. On the MM2 the 80mm 32x becomes a 52mm 18x and transforms the views through this scope. What was a good small scope becomes an excellent small scope with the better HDF eyepiece. Havn't tried using the 18x HDF for digiscoping yet, but will sometime. The HDF Zoom also works well!.
I would recommend the MM2 as a first/budget/travel scope, and, if the budget runs to it, try a HDF eyepiece before buying the dedicated MM2 eyepieces.
Note: My eyesight is starting to go, and probably was when I bought the scope. Take what I have written with a pinch of salt, but try both types of eyepiece.
LewTwo is offline   Reply With Quote