Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old May 11, 2013, 5:55 PM   #1

Default Need Advice on Digiscoping Equipment

I have a Canon PowerShot S90 and I just ordered a Leupold Ventana SX-1 15-45x60mm Angled Spotting Scope. So, I am hoping that somebody here can tell me what else I will need to purchase in order to make these two pieces work together. Any comments, tips, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I have never done digiscoping before.
Airedale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2013, 12:56 PM   #2

Hi,

Like yourself I've little or no experience in digiscoping apart from a couple of experimental Heath-Robinson lashups, which surprisingly did work to a degree, but weren't really practical.

Since then I have a el cheapo Meade scope 20 - 60X60mm, and I'm presently making an adaptor to mount an old Canon A95 P&S. I had great results copying transparencies with this camera, so I believe it will perform nicely, I'm not too sure how well the scope will perform, it should at least give some experience.

Hope this reply helps generate some response, I'll follow any replies with interest. Be patient though this board doesn't seem to generate a lot of activity.

... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:10 AM   #3

Default The Camera to eyepiece adapter

The digiscoper in many cases must make his own adapter and achieve perfect optical axis centering in the process. One specific camera and eyepiece combination should be determined as a starting point. Once the centering has been obtained your rig will be ready for some decent results on the telescope of your choosing. My current scope is a 63x840mm Zeiss achro doublet objective mounted in a Celestron tube/focuser combination. The images attached were made with a Sony point and shoot set at 50mm(35mm equivelent) and then with the camera attached to the scope which was providing 35X magnification. A 3,500mm(refractive) camera lens would be 11.5 feet long to equal this magnification whereas the digiscope is 3 feet long. The images have all been identically cropped and shot from the same distance. I hope that this thread will encourage more of you to try this form of extreme telephoto photography.
Attached Images

100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
506mm Pentax PF80-ED spotting Scope(digiscoper)
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:35 AM   #4

Hi Streets,

Thanks for your comments, and impressive shots.

All noted, but no progress here, due to my wife suffering a health setback ... that has to take priority, I'll get back to the project when time allows. ... Jack.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachol View Post
Hi Streets,

Thanks for your comments, and impressive shots.

All noted, but no progress here, due to my wife suffering a health setback ... that has to take priority, I'll get back to the project when time allows. ... Jack.
I've just got around to resurrecting this all but forgotten project ( delayed due to my wifes long illness)

,and over time I revised my ideas.

I found that a piece of 40mm plastic waste pipe was a firm push fit over the scope eyepiece, and

I already had an adaptor that fits the Canon A95 body to allow use of supplementary lenses or filters.

Pads of fluffy velcro were stuck on one end of the tube at 120 intervals round the diameter, this is

then pushed into the body adaptor, this is a firm fit and also centralises the camera with the eyepiece.

The attached pictures show the arrangement better. The tube length has been adjusted so that the

camera lens is close to the eyepiece lens with no fouling.

I've made a few experimental shots, but it's obvious that better light conditions are needed ( which we

don't have at this time of year). I want to try various camera settings before posting any shots. ... Jack
Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2015, 3:19 AM   #6

Wow Streets, those closeups are really impressive.

Jachol, as long as the camera you use has shutter speed control, lighting shouldn't be a problem.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2015, 2:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Wow Streets, those closeups are really impressive.

Jachol, as long as the camera you use has shutter speed control, lighting shouldn't be a problem.
Hi Bynx,

Thanks for the input ... bear in mind I'm just getting into this mode, and from what I've read, it's the scope that limits the light, it's recommended to use the camera wide open in AV mode (or manual). I know from my early trials, the autofocus can struggle in poor light conditions, hence my earlier comment.
Spring is advancing nicely now, and light improves with it, I hope to have more experience in the coming months. .. Jack
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:24 PM   #8

Opening your lens wide open will decrease your depth of field. Thats fine if what you are shooting has a small depth of field. Even with limited light source you can still shoot at f8 or f11, just decrease the shutter speed to achieve the proper exposure. Thats why I stated that the camera you use has to be able to allow control of the shutter speed.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 4:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Opening your lens wide open will decrease your depth of field. Thats fine if what you are shooting has a small depth of field. Even with limited light source you can still shoot at f8 or f11, just decrease the shutter speed to achieve the proper exposure. Thats why I stated that the camera you use has to be able to allow control of the shutter speed.
OK, this is basic photographic practice, but again from what I've read on digiscoping control of DOF goes out of the window, you're stuck within the limits of your camera/scope combination, and until I have more practical experience in this mode I can't, and wont comment further. ... Jack

Last edited by jachol; Mar 13, 2015 at 4:37 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:01 AM   #10

In digiscoping, it seems the biggest problem is camera shake. The high magnification amplifies any camera shake. If using a DSLR, lock up the mirror, use a wireless trigger remote, use the highest ISO you can that wont cause noise and try to get the shutter speed to as close to 1/1000 as possible.