Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old May 11, 2013, 5:55 PM   #1

Default Need Advice on Digiscoping Equipment

I have a Canon PowerShot S90 and I just ordered a Leupold Ventana SX-1 15-45x60mm Angled Spotting Scope. So, I am hoping that somebody here can tell me what else I will need to purchase in order to make these two pieces work together. Any comments, tips, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I have never done digiscoping before.
Airedale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2013, 12:56 PM   #2

Hi,

Like yourself I've little or no experience in digiscoping apart from a couple of experimental Heath-Robinson lashups, which surprisingly did work to a degree, but weren't really practical.

Since then I have a el cheapo Meade scope 20 - 60X60mm, and I'm presently making an adaptor to mount an old Canon A95 P&S. I had great results copying transparencies with this camera, so I believe it will perform nicely, I'm not too sure how well the scope will perform, it should at least give some experience.

Hope this reply helps generate some response, I'll follow any replies with interest. Be patient though this board doesn't seem to generate a lot of activity.

... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2013, 11:10 AM   #3

Default The Camera to eyepiece adapter

The digiscoper in many cases must make his own adapter and achieve perfect optical axis centering in the process. One specific camera and eyepiece combination should be determined as a starting point. Once the centering has been obtained your rig will be ready for some decent results on the telescope of your choosing. My current scope is a 63x840mm Zeiss achro doublet objective mounted in a Celestron tube/focuser combination. The images attached were made with a Sony point and shoot set at 50mm(35mm equivelent) and then with the camera attached to the scope which was providing 35X magnification. A 3,500mm(refractive) camera lens would be 11.5 feet long to equal this magnification whereas the digiscope is 3 feet long. The images have all been identically cropped and shot from the same distance. I hope that this thread will encourage more of you to try this form of extreme telephoto photography.
Attached Images

100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
1.4X Promaster Spectrum Teleconverter
506mm Pentax PF80-ED spotting Scope(digiscoper)
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 3:35 AM   #4

Hi Streets,

Thanks for your comments, and impressive shots.

All noted, but no progress here, due to my wife suffering a health setback ... that has to take priority, I'll get back to the project when time allows. ... Jack.
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote