Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:53 PM   #11

Hi Houston,

It's hard to say exactly which ISO and shutter speed will bring best results because of numerous variables. The full moon is much brighter in terms of how it affects the exposure, but I've found that on different nights and using different equipment I've had to vary the settings a great deal. One of the issues is that because of the vast amount of black around a partial moon, the metering generally tends to overexpose. Since the D'Rebel doesn't have spot metering, the best way is to probably experiment unti you get the best results. I've found, strangely enough, that I actually get much better results on moon shots with my D30 than with any of my other dSLR's including four, six and eleven megapixel models.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the shutter speed, but the remote release is necessary and you would definitely get better results if you could lock up the mirror. Unfortunately with the D'Rebel you would need to install the hacked firmware to do this. The vibration from the mirror slap is sufficient at that focal length to introduce a great deal of vibration which really does impact the sharpness. It sounds like you are doing everything possible to get optimal results, and perhaps a bit of post processing will bring out the details. Actually, your shot looks pretty good with a little post processing - here's the result of applying a two pixel deconvolution correction, slight levels and shadow highlights...

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 8:43 PM   #12

Hi Lin,

Thank you so much for the information. I tried again last night and was able to shoot at 1/320th with an ISO of 1600. I even doctor'd it a little bit in Photoshop Elements 2. Didn't really know what I was doing but I played around with Quick fix and the Unsharp Mask and it turned out pretty good. At least I'm proud of it anyhow. I'll try to post it for you to see.

Thanks again for the info

Houston

Attachment: TheMoon8-28-04 013 ISO1600.jpg
Attached Images

Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:50 PM   #13

Hi Houston,

It's looks great! - I think you've found the right combination.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote