Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Apr 18, 2016, 8:35 AM   #1

Default Collembola/Springtail

Once thought of as an insect but no longer, they are an entity unto themselves the Collembola or more commonly known as springtails. We all have probably eaten our fair share of them. Meiji EMZ-13TR/Sony DSC-W5 1/25 sec. @ f/2.8 ISO 100
Attached Images

Ken Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:48 PM   #2
conor

Great shot, and it led to me discovering this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypogastrura_nivicola
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:05 PM   #3

I have heard reference to snow fleas but have never seen any of them, or at least not any that I know of. However, with the exception of color, snow fleas are almost morphologically equal to the one that I have shown here, Isotoma viridis, which is yellow and not blue like the one you have referenced in your Wiki link. Great comparison though, and glad to see that you took the ball and ran with it. Thanks Conor
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:23 PM   #4
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ramos View Post
I have heard reference to snow fleas but have never seen any of them, or at least not any that I know of. However, with the exception of color, snow fleas are almost morphologically equal to the one that I have shown here, Isotoma viridis, which is yellow and not blue like the one you have referenced in your Wiki link. Great comparison though, and glad to see that you took the ball and ran with it. Thanks Conor
Sometimes the best part about a photograph is the story it tells, and the discussion that follows! =)
Old Apr 18, 2016, 7:05 PM   #5

Conor wrote:

"Sometimes the best part about a photograph is the story it tells, and the discussion that follows! =)"

Exactly! The reason I like to add something to a post, some text to get the viewer involved in what I have presented and to get them to ask questions, even to do a little light research on their own and contribute to the post, as you have done here.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:50 PM   #6

Gee if it looks like a bug and tastes like a bug then it must be a bug. So if its not then what is it classified as?

Well I just looked up Connors link and it was clear as mud. Except it would be nice if scientists could develop the glycine rich protein so people could be frozen without tissue damage.

Last edited by Bynx; Apr 22, 2016 at 8:54 PM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Gee if it looks like a bug and tastes like a bug then it must be a bug. So if its not then what is it classified as?

Well I just looked up Connors link and it was clear as mud. Except it would be nice if scientists could develop the glycine rich protein so people could be frozen without tissue damage.
To my understanding it is now one of the four groups within the Hexapoda. Taxonomy is really not one of my strong points, though it is something that maybe I should practice, which of course would mean a crash course in Latin.

Thanks