Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jun 13, 2002, 7:35 PM   #1

Default Ok...whatta about this?

http://www.william-optics.com/accessory/dcl4337.htm

/tmoy thinks he might be able to mount his sony f707 to his telescope!

Man...theres soooo much cool stuff out there....so many toys...sooo little money...what to choose...hummmm
tmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2002, 10:55 PM   #2

Default You "can", but it might not work well...

I've tried my F707 with a variety of eyepieces, but there is always serious vignetting. The William Optics 24mm eyepiece with the 43mm thread could be used to mount the F707 with a step down ring, but I suspect you would need to crop a great deal of the vignetting out. It could be worth asking around in case someone has actually used it. This eyepiece was actually designed for the Olympus cameras with 43mm threads. The F707, even though it has a much larger thread size has a lens not much larger in diameter than the Olympus cameras, so it "might" work - but it would be a coin toss about vignetting.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2002, 9:54 AM   #3

Thought you mike like to see...

http://www.pbase.com/jayseejay/digital_astrophotography
Old Jun 14, 2002, 12:46 PM   #4

Default Hi,

Sounds like you have been over at Phil's forum talking to Ulysses and the Sony crew! Joe gets good results and uses the ImagesPlus software I discussed in an earlier thread, but this is a bit different from terrestrial digiscoping issues. Joe's images of the moon and planets are exceptional, but imagesPlus allows overlaying of multiple images at the sub-pixel level to achieve lower noise and better color resolution. This technology isn't amenable to live subjects unless you could somehow capture multiple images before the subject could move...

Since our last communication, I tried the F707 with the William Optics 24mm eyepiece which has a much larger exit pupil than the Swarovski's own 20-60x zoom. The results were better, but way too much vignetting. It took the full 5x zoom to get a center portion which was useable. This "may" be somewhat improved by their (William Optics) eyepiece with 43mm filter threads, but I have grave doubts that you will get a full image without vignetting even at full zoom. The actual portion of the image which was useable was not too bad, not nearly as sharp as with the Nikons, and had some visible chromatic aberration, but still might be useable for a center crop of a bird. Of course unless you have some zoom capabilities, the number of decent shots you will get will be severly constrained.

When shooting at planets which occupy only a small area of the total frame and are surrounded in large by black sky, this is not an issue. Even the moon shots which appear large are crops and the vignetting wouldn't show unless it impinged on the moon image itself because it's the same color as the sky...

I really don't think you will be happy with the F707 for terrestrial digiscoping use, but the only way to really know is to perhaps talk Joe or someone who has a large eyepiece into taking some shots and posting the entire image so you can get a feel for the possible.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Jun 14, 2002, 2:05 PM   #5

Yeah...Great resources there too...Its funny...small world...

He got some terrestrial pictures too....

http://www.pbase.com/jayseejay/707scope_testing

decisions...decisions...

btw...i really appreciate your replys...they have been very informative...

I dont see why this type of digital photography isn't more popular? I think its great!
Old Jun 14, 2002, 2:19 PM   #6
Administrator

One of our readers sent me this a while back, it's a Sony F707 with an Olympus TCON-300 teleadapter and I think there is also another Olympus 2x teleadapter in there as well

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2002, 2:29 PM   #7

Default Hi Steve,

That's one of mine - it's actually a B-300 1.7x on the end of the TCON-300. It doesn't do too badly, but it's a lot of "real estate" to lug around!

Best regards,

Lin
Old Jun 14, 2002, 2:38 PM   #8

Default Hi Tom,

Yes, there actually is more interest than you might think - and digiscoping is growing daily.

You could probably use the F707 with the scope with the William Optics 43mm filter ring version eyepiece and do a digital zoom, but I'm suspicious that getting a vignette free optical at even full zoom is unlikely. This is not to say that the results might not be useful - only that the versatility will be a bit restricted. With the Nikons you have a vignette free zoom range with this eyepiece from about 1000 mm to well over 6000mm which gives you really great versatility.

Of course buying another camera right now may be considerably more expensive than getting a large eyepiece and some sort of adapter which you can later use with a different camera. At least that would let you get your feet wet!

The possibilities are numerous for doing this - lots of different scopes and combinations. Spend some time with what you have in the way of a scope until you get thoroughly acquainted with all the available cofigurations and their pro's and con's. Then you won't have to do it all again when you get serious about which way (terrestrial or astro or both) to go!

Best regards,

Lin
Old Jun 14, 2002, 8:08 PM   #9

I'm thinking eyepiece/adaptor and a couple of stepup rings to start (one for the CP700 the other for F707)...and I'll have to weigh out the order of the other upgrades at a later point. (Another Digital Camera and/or Spotting/Telescope)

Hobbies are expensive and time consuming...It wouldn't be so bad If I only had like one or two...but...ya know...Cool toys wait for no one....