Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jun 9, 2004, 6:30 AM   #1

Has anyone looked at this camera for Digitiscoping. With its excellent LCD display and small lens plus the rotating body, it would appear to be workable if it could be mounted to the scope?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:09 AM   #2

On the surface, it might appear that this could be use for digiscoping except for a couple issues which might be deal killers.

First, to use with any consistency it's best to be able to connect the camera's lens to the eyepiece of the scope either via a mechanical coupler or with a specilized eyepiece which has a match for the filter threads on the camera. The final way of connecting is to use a mount which fastens to the tripod connect and simply holds the camera in proximity to the eyepiece.

It's really difficult to tell from the images, but it really doesn't look like there are any filter threads on the lens, and there seems to be a rectangular sunshield in the way so that may eliminate the first means of connecting. One could possibly get around this by using one of the mechanical adapters which screws into the tripod mount, but alas, there is no tripod mount on the camera.

Finally, to really get optimal images it's sometimes necessary to use a remote release of some sort. With the older Nikon CP cameras one can use the very excellent HarborTronics DigiSnap devices, but these require a serial port or a USB port which allows the use of serial code. To use any of the mechanical "push type" releases requires mounting hardware to the tripod mount, which in this case doesn't exist. The last two ways would be to use an IR remote (the camera apparently doesn't have one) or the timed release which it does have. Unfortunately it's difficult to get the bird, etc., to set still for the delay unless one just gets lucky.

It would be interesting if someone who purchases this or the Kyocera SL300R equivalent could try it and give a report.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2004, 6:41 AM   #3

All of what you say is true except that the KOYCERA web page does list a 28mm filter adapter as being available? Now try and find one, if they really exist where are they?

There is a timmer function which certainly is not as good as a cable release but it could be workable on a good tri-pod.

what do you think?
Old Jun 11, 2004, 12:55 AM   #4

It could be that the Contax also has filter threads, I just couldn't verify it by the available images of the camera. If so, that would be a major plus. The camera itself would be mounted then to the scope which would be mounted on the tripod. It shouldn't be a problem if the camera actually has filter threads. With filter threads you can easily mount a ScopeTronix or William Optics eyepiece with a 1.25" barrel which will work with most of the 80-125mm astro-scopes.

The lack of a tripod thread on the camera would only affect the ability to mount a third party mechanical remote release and one would then either have to hand press the shutter or use the timer. Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2004, 5:52 AM   #5

I will post the information if I am able to come up witha source for the Filter adapter.

There are two models of this camera with an expensive one having a Carl Zeiss "T" lens. My opinion is that the added cost might not be of value on a scope? But them again these lenses are designed to reduce things like flare and purple fringing?
Old Jun 11, 2004, 2:59 PM   #6

The information I am now getting is that these cameras come witha 30.5mm plastic adapter for filters only....they can count me out as a buyer.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 2:37 PM   #7

Normc,

Take a look at the glowing review this camera got at Andy Bright's
web site:

http://digiscopingukbirds.homestead....axSL300RT.html

Dalcio
Dacol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 4:17 PM   #8

Yes those are impressive. I got so tured off in trying to get info on the camera that I gave up on it when it looked like the filter adapters were not part of the camera's package here in the US. Went out and purchased a Sony W-1 which also has some possiblities for adapting to a scope but so far I am simply enjoying the camera. Also sold my scope and will be looking for something else.
Old Aug 2, 2004, 7:59 AM   #9

I now have a Contax SL300R T and it did come with a filter adapter that has 28mm threads. The LCD is the best I have ever seen for use in bright sun. You remove the small plastic hood on the camera by rotating it 90 degrees and sliding it off. The process is then reversed to install the filter adapter. The camera is very small and light so it will work if you are careful.

I sold my scope to be in the market for a new(used) one and will test out the camera whenever I can.

normc
Old Aug 11, 2004, 6:18 AM   #10

Hi Norm, you may like to know that a cable-release adapter is now available for the Contax (or Kyocera versions) it is very neat and simple. You can see details here http://www.digiscoped.com/ContaxSL300RT.htmlThe addition of a cable-release should make this camera even more attractive for the birder/digiscoper.

Here's a photo of the device

Attached Images

Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote