Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jun 18, 2004, 1:17 PM   #1

I want to get into digiscoping and my 2 cameras are a Minolta Dimage A1 and a Canon Ixus V. I know the Minolta will probably have issues due to the size of the lens, but I can't find any information about the suitability of the Ixus.

I have found there is a product called the 'DS eyepiece' from Eagle Eye optics, which is designed for cameras with large diameter lenses, it has a diameter of 43mm. Does anybody have experience of this and if so, what.

Many thanks for your help.

Ian
digicammad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2004, 2:31 PM   #2

The EagleEye eyepiece works pretty well with the longer zoom digicams because it has a long focal length which greatly reduces magnification, but it's difficult to say without trying how well it may or may not work with your Minolta. I think Carlo has a page on the EagleEye site which lists the cameras which have been tested and the results one can expect.

The IXUS V would be a better candidate from the perspective of lens size and such, but the issue you will have is finding a suitable way to mount the camera. There are a couple companies which make a mechanical mount which fastens to the tripod mount and then to the eyepiece of the telescope thus holding the camera up in close proximity to the eyepiece.

Give me a couple days and I'll dig out my Canon S100 which I think is very similar to your IXUS V and I'll hold it up to my various eyepieces on my Meade ETX and Swarovski ST-80 HD and see how it performs. We're having thunderstorms, hail, tornados, etc., for the past few days here so will have to wait a bit until the weather clears up to test it.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 2:31 PM   #3

The EagleEye eyepiece works pretty well with the longer zoom digicams because it has a long focal length which greatly reduces magnification, but it's difficult to say without trying how well it may or may not work with your Minolta. I think Carlo has a page on the EagleEye site which lists the cameras which have been tested and the results one can expect.

The IXUS V would be a better candidate from the perspective of lens size and such, but the issue you will have is finding a suitable way to mount the camera. There are a couple companies which make a mechanical mount which fastens to the tripod mount and then to the eyepiece of the telescope thus holding the camera up in close proximity to the eyepiece.

Give me a couple days and I'll dig out my Canon S100 which I think is very similar to your IXUS V and I'll hold it up to my various eyepieces on my Meade ETX and Swarovski ST-80 HD and see how it performs. We're having thunderstorms, hail, tornados, etc., for the past few days here so will have to wait a bit until the weather clears up to test it.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 2:40 PM   #4

Thanks Lin. Whichever camera I end up using I will probably use a tripod mount. There is a company called SRBFilm who have a bracket which uses the tripod mount on both camera and scope. I would prefer to use the Minolta as it is a much better camera.

Cheers

Ian
digicammad is offline   Reply With Quote