Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Aug 7, 2004, 2:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Consider this an addendum to my posts on this topic. I just took a look at some samples from the Canon Mark lll as compared to the Canon 1Ds. Since with a crop factor of 1.3, both of these cameras have the same number of pixels on the target area, yet the 1Ds clearly resolves much more detail.

Hi Dave,

I'm a bit confused here. Do you mean the Canon Mark II? (I'm not familiar with a Mark III).

If so, the Mark II has an eight megapixel sensor with a 1.3x reduced field of view. The Canon 1DS (is that the one you mean?) is a full frame sensor with no reduced field of view.

The 1DS will resolve more detail even with equalization of pixel count on the subject because it has a much weaker antialiasing filter. That is, if you adjust the camera to subject distance so that each has the same number of pixels describing a frame, the 1DS with the weaker AA filter will still resolve more detail. If neither had AA filters equal numbers of pixels would result in equal resolution assuming photo detector wells were equivalent in depth and S/N ratios.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2004, 9:43 AM   #22
DBB

Hi Dave,

I'm a bit confused here. Do you mean the Canon Mark II? (I'm not familiar with a Mark III).

Yes, I'm GREAT at remembering the model numbers, even when I just looked at them....

If so, the Mark II has an eight megapixel sensor with a 1.3x reduced field of view. The Canon 1DS (is that the one you mean?) is a full frame sensor with no reduced field of view.

Yes

The 1DS will resolve more detail even with equalization of pixel count on the subject because it has a much weaker antialiasing filter. That is, if you adjust the camera to subject distance so that each has the same number of pixels describing a frame, the 1DS with the weaker AA filter will still resolve more detail. If neither had AA filters equal numbers of pixels would result in equal resolution assuming photo detector wells were equivalent in depth and S/N ratios.

Lin
[/quote]

Thanks for the information. I will continue to harrass you with posts like the above

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote