Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 3, 2004, 6:51 AM   #1

If price is not the deciding factor, which would be the better pick for digiscoping? I presently have a Sony cd400 and I just can't quite get rid of the vignetting. I even tried it with a 2" eyepiece and even though there was no vignetting when I connected it to the camera, there was significant vignetting when I connected the camera, eyepiece and Pentax pf80 Ed scope together. So now I've decided to just go ahead and invest in a proper camera for digicoping and I've been told that these two are a great choice, but which would you choose price not being a factor and why?
Bayoublaster400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2004, 10:12 AM   #2

Without question, the CP4500 is by far the better choice. First, the 4300 has a lens which extends externally. This means you must use a tube type adapter between tohold the camera at a position which will prevent thetelescoping lens from striking the eyepiece as it telescopes. Second, there is no tilt/swivel body/lens with the 4300 which limits the position you must physically be in to look at the subject when mounted to the scope. Finally, the zoom of the 4300 is 3x rather than the 4x of the 4500. The additional zoom is very helpful to give the user greater versatility in framing.

Go with the CP4500, it's ideally suited for digiscoping.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 12:45 PM   #3

I did some research and read a few reviews and have come to the same conclusion as you have said. I'm gonna go with the 4500. I can pick one up for around $325 and all I need after that is a remote shutter release which I don't think will set me abck that much. I pretty sure I'll need an adapter to connect the camera to the digiscope t-thread adapter I already have for the sony. I believe it's 52mm if I remember right. So I would need the correct adapter to go from the 52mm t-thread adapter to whatever teh corect threads are on the Nikon 4500. Do you know exactly what the thread size is so that I can order the correct adapter? Appreciate all the help. Thanks a bunch!
Old Jul 3, 2004, 1:56 PM   #4

The 4500 has 28mm threads. You should skip getting the Nikon remote -- too many people don't like it. I bought one but now the consensus is that you are better off with a mechanical or air bulb release. If you get a 4500 from a dealer you may want to be cautious of the "gray market" issues.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2004, 7:23 PM   #5

Quote:
all I need after that is a remote shutter release which I don't think will set me abck that much.
I would suggest the HarborTronics DigiSnap 2000 for the CP4500 - here's a link to check it out:

http://www.harbortronics.com

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2004, 12:36 PM   #6

CP4500 as well. As Lin, mentionsm the fixed monitor of the cp4300 can be a nightmare to view with ease when you're pointing your scope upwards or downwards ... I've taught several people with the cp4300 and you spent your time on tip toes or crouched down.

It can take some quite nice shots but it's just not as user-friendly as thefavoured Nikons (cp990/995/4500).

Not too many places selling cp4500's in the U.S. these days .. still plenty in the U.K.(Nikon U.K. importing unsold ones from overseas markets to satisfy demand).

Regards,

Andy
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:33 PM   #7

Thanks for all the replies. I have decided to go with the 4500. Just checking out remote shutter releases now. Thanks again!