Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 3, 2004, 12:54 PM   #1

I need to know rather quickly which adapter I need to mate a Nikon 4500 to a Nikon 80 Ed spotting scope. I already have a Sopetronix 52 mm t-thread adapter which will couple with my 1.25" eyepieces that are used with the scope. CAn someone give me the correct adapter and t-thread adapter that I will need to purchase before I go on vacation next month. Thanks a bunch!
Bayoublaster400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2004, 1:12 PM   #2

I'm sure it is the 28mm to 1.25" Scopetronix adapter. Whichever that is.

Actually I've given up on understandingScopetronix. They seem to be dedicated to producing adapters that cost as much as your camera. If you already have a 52mm adapter for a 52mm camera that works with your 1.25"eyepieces then all you need is the 28mmversion of this since the 4500 is a 28mm thread. Scopetronix has a "Wizard" on their website that tells you what is available for each camera and each scope, but they always want to sell you special eyepieces.

I am presuming that your 52mm adapter was used with a lensed camera and not an SLR. The method of coupling to an SLR is different.
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:46 PM   #3

Appreciate the info. I'll just check out the websight as I did before and get the right one. Looking forward to trying out the 4500 with the Pentax.
Bayoublaster400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 4:50 PM   #4

The "easiest" way is to use the ScopeTronix or William Optics dedicated eyepieces. This is NOT the same as using an adapter to connect to a telescope eyepiece. Since your Pentax already uses 1.25" astro type eyepieces, the standard William Optics DCL-28 or the ScopeTronix equivalent (I recomment the William Optics - I have both) have 28mm threads which screw directly to the filter threads on your CP4500.

These are Large Exit Pupil Eyepieces made specifically for digiscoping and will let you zoom back to nearly full wide angle without vignetting. They "greatly" extend the usable range for your digiscoping purposes vis a vis the telescope eyepiece made for your eye. If you use the standard eyepiece, you will only be able to have a narrow range of vignette free zoom. With the dedicated eyepieces you can zoom from about 1100mm to 6000mm or more for a vastly expanded range.

Since you apparently haven't hooked this up, I would also suggest an Xtend-a-View mini combo loupe/sunshade made by PhotoSolve for the CP4500:

http://www.photosolve.com

Also the HarborTronics DigiSnap 2000 remote release which will let you both zoom and trip the shutter without touching the telescope or camera.

http://www.harbortronics.com

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 4:53 PM   #5

Quote:
but they always want to sell you special eyepieces.
They do this for a very good reason. The dedicated eyepieces simply work better for digiscoping because they eliminate the additional adapter rings, get the scope and eyepiece closer together and are designed for the telescope lens rather than your eye.

Yes, you "can" digiscope very nicely using the eyepiece which comes with your scope, but you can digiscope "better" using their custom eyepieces.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:20 AM   #6

Yes, that is true, but the expense is dismaying to a beginner.

[Actually the Williams Opticseyepiece is pretty reasonable]
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote