Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:44 AM   #1

I've heard the Manfrotto 055/3221/3021 is recommended for the stiffness that digiscoping requires. I've never understood the Manfrotto/Bogen numbering scheme or their various versions but I'm guessing any version rated for 13lbs is equally stiff? Some other versions are rated for more or less of a load but I don't know if this is a true indicator of stiffness. Anyone know?

Thanks,

Dave
Pooperdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 6:23 PM   #2

I use the 3221W but really don't think it's necessary to have this heavy a tripod which is a total pain to carry. The important thing is stability and that can be just as easily obtained with a lighter aluminum or carbon fiber tripod and a bag of rocks. Take the bag with you and fill it with rocks when you get where you want to set up. by using 10 or 15 pounds of rocks you can get great stability. Hang the bag in the center with heavy nylon cord and let the bottom just touch the ground.

I think it's more important to have a really solid head with a platform type support large enough to provide a flat, friction surface for the scope's mount. When you're using a camera like the CP4500 with a remote release, there is near zero vibration or movement. On the other hand, if using a dSLR you must lock the mirror on the first shutter press, wait for the vibrations to dampen then press the release again. The time between the first and second press of the remote switch is usually around 3-4 seconds.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:51 PM   #3

One thingI would like to understand is the tripod performance difference. If tap your scope with your finger -- with the scope at 60x --how long does it vibrateon a 3221 ? Right now I'm experimenting with an old wooden tripod and a Slik fluid head. My other tripod is very cheap aluminum and was unsatisfactory.

The bag of rocks idea sounds good as long as you can find rocks that aren't swarming with ants:-)
Old Jul 25, 2004, 4:32 PM   #4

Bag of rocks is a nice idea, but if your carrying lots of gear in a big gadget bag, then you do not need the bag or the rocks...just hang your bag off your tripod.

I have the 055 from Manfrotto. I like it a lot. Nice and sturdy, and I do not find it such a pain to carry round either.

As for their numbering schema, haven't a clue. I do know their 055 line has been around for ages.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 8:37 AM   #5

I just noticed the difference between the 3021PRO and the 3021. I like that sideways option. It reminds me of the Gitzo Explorer although it isn't as flexible. I might not use it too often but occasionally it would be very neat to have.

http://www.bogenimaging.us/