Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Sep 25, 2002, 7:20 PM   #1

Default ScopeTronix 14mm wide angle eyepiece....

Yesterday I received the ScropTronix 14mm wide angle eyepiece which is threaded with 28mm threads to connect to the Nikon CP series cameras.

I found this to be an excellent eyepiece which works very well indeed with my Cool Pix cameras (CP950, 990, 4500). The eyepiece works very well with my Meade ETX-90 spotting scope, allowing a full range of zoom back with my CP4500 with zero vignetting. Great clear image free of chromatic aberration.

The 14mm eyepiece is not compatible with my Swarovski ST-80 HD, running out of focus range at about 65 feet. At infinity the Swarovski will not quite focus with the 14mm eyepiece.

I do not believe this is a ScopeTronix issue, but rather that the Swarovski will just not focus with a 14mm eyepiece. It doesn't focus with my Meade 9mm eyepiece either, and it gets much closer to focus with the 14mm.

ScopeTronix also makes an 18mm wide angle, and I suspect it will work very well with the Swarovski, since the 14mm is very, very close to being able to focus at the very end of the Swarovski's focus ring travel.

This is an excellent, well made eyepiece and should work perfectly well with any of the astro telescopes (Meade, Celestron, etc.). If you have a Pentax, or Leica spotting scope, you might want to ask ScopeTronix and the respective manufacturer about possible compatibility issues before ordering the 14mm wide angle.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2002, 9:03 AM   #2

Default Scopetronics 14mm eyepiece

Hello Lin. Have you compared the Sopetronics 14mm eyepiece against the WO DCL-28 and a 2X barlow. This will give you a 12mm lens and should compare well with the 14mm. Why do you think the 14mm lens doesn't work with your refractor? Do you think it is because the eyepiece needs to be closer to the front of the scope or farther back. I have a similar problem with my Stellarvue AT-1010 refractor. It comes with a 2" diagonal and my 35mm eyepiece wont come to focus with it on the 2" diagonal. It will come to focus with it if I use a 1.25" diagonal or use it straight through without a diagonal. You probably don't have those options with your refractor. I will be interested to hear your findings if you compare the 14mm to the 24mm with a 2x barlow. On my ETX-90 I had a hard time using my Meade 9.7mm eyepiece on it since the eyepiece is so short. I solved that problem by getting an extension tube that is about 3" long so now the eyepieces sit a lot higher and I don't hit my face on the finder. The extension tube looks like a barlow, but has no glass in it. It is just an empty tube and works great on the ETX.
Ralph
Panotaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2002, 1:17 PM   #3

Hi,
I've not had the opportunity to try the barlow with the ScopeTronix 14, but have compared the 14 to the DCL-28. Both are excellent construction and excellent optics. The ScopeTronix works very well with my Meade ETX-90 but doesn't achieve focus at infinity with my Swarovski ST-80 HD.

It appears that it's a Swarovski problem because I can't get even close to focus with the 9mm Meade eyepiece and the Swarovski while the 14mm ScopeTronix "almost" achieves focus. Because of the closeness to focus, I think the ScopeTronix 18 will do fine - but after talking to ScopeTronix, I find that other are having the same problem with the Swarovski and 14mm eyepiece. Swarovski has a 7mm eyepiece which works with their spotting scopes, but it's probably "not" a standard 7mm.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2002, 8:09 PM   #4

Hello, Thought this might interest you (Lin) and others. I emailed Scopetronix about using the 14/18mm wide angle (STWA14/18)with my scope. Here is the reply:

"The Pentax scope uses a non standard focal length and astronomical eyepieces under 26mm or so usually won’t reach infinity focus. We are looking into adapters for all of the popular spotting scopes at this time and will probably have adapters for all of them within a month or so. "

Guess there is hope for all of us with using this eyepiece. I still might pick it up now and try it because I know the Pentax has a slightly larger focal length than most scopes, maybe this will help.

Dennis
Dj-Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2003, 8:08 AM   #5

Default Scopetronics Update!

Just noticed today, the link is up for the new spotting scope eyepieces at Scopetronics. http://www.scopetronics.com/digiscoping.htm They apperar to be custom versions of existing eyepieces adapted specifically for Bushnell, Leica, Pentax, Swaro, and Zeiss scopes. They have made Maxview, 14mmWA, and 18mmWA for the Pentax. Hopefully they will make all three versions for those that have the other brands. Now I'm glad I waited on the 14mmWA last month seeing how there is now the PX version.

Dennis
Dj-Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote