Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jun 17, 2002, 7:09 PM   #1

Default Digiscoping

Does anyone know what a good telescope for taking shots of the moon and possibly saturn. I have a coolpix 5000. Can someone please advice and tell me what accessories I will need to connect my cam to the particular telescope. Thanks.
deathbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2002, 3:53 PM   #2

Default You need UR-E6

The UR-E6 adapts the CP5000 to a 28mm filter thread.

Once you adapt to 28mm threads, you can connect to a telescope one of several ways. You could use a specialized eyepiece like the William Optics 24mm eyepiece which is threaded on the ocular side to mate with the 28mm thread. The other end is a standard 1.25" astro-telescope barrel which slides into the eyepiece mount for most any astro-telescope.

The choice of telescope is reasonably wide, but to do other than celestial digiscoping, you should look for a scope with at least a 1200mm focal length. With a 24mm eyepiece that will give you sufficient zoom range to get over 4000mm. Shorter focal length scopes would require a shorter focal length eyepiece to achieve similar overall focal length.

Several terrestrial spotting scopes can also accept astro-eyepieces. The Pentax 80 will accept any 1.25" astro-telescope eyepiece. The Swarovski can use the astro-eyepieces with an adapter as can the Leica.

A good combination would possibly be the Meade ETX-90 with the William Optics 24mm DCL-28 eyepiece. This gives you a 1250mm fixed focal length tube and with the 24mm eyepiece you get 52.0833 power. Multiply this by your 85mm 3x zoom and you have 4427.08mm with a good range of zoomback - Just one option....

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2002, 8:16 PM   #3

With my Nikon CoolPix 995, for moon shots I've had reasonably good results with a fairly long telephoto lens (I have a CrystalVue 8X) and very good results with a Bausch & Lomb spotting scope (with adapter). I also use a Celestron 8 Deluxe telescope and get fantastic results. (Choice of eye piece dictates the size of the moon image being photographed.)

Shots of Saturn are a different world: They require either a good amount of light gathering capability or a motor driven telescope to get a longer exposure. Rotation of the earth is enough to turn Saturn into a streak on the CCD for about anything above a 1 or 2 second exposure. Again, I use my Celestron 8 Deluxe (which has a motor drive) for Saturn as well.

Connecting most digi cams to a telescope is limited to a focal photography (through an eye piece -- a 35mm camera can be attached directly to the telescope itself without an eye piece, the telescope becoming the lens). I use an Orion adjustable tele adapter for the eye piece connection.

Good luck shooting the sky...

Bill3
Bill3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2002, 4:21 AM   #4

Here's Jupiter & Saturn with a birders spotting scope/ Nikon 990 from last year. Astral shots aren't too good around London...the sky is rarely dark, and in England it's usually cloudy :-(
Regards,
Andy
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote