Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Nov 15, 2004, 7:02 PM   #1

Hello,
I recently bought a new camera, a Panasonic FZ20, mainly for the long lens. It turns out that my old camera is perfect for digiscoping. It's a two year old Nikon CP4500. I have been reading the different posts looking for insight into scopes. I really can't afford the top end scopes but I came across a "Celestron Ultima 100 ED Spotting Scope with 22-66x Wide Angle Zoom Eyepiece" for $600 that may be within my budget. Does anyone have any information about this scope. I know that the 100mm apature is a good thing. And ED glass should make for a good opitcal lense. I don't think that it is waterproof although it does have a rubberized coating. I was hoping that this might make a good scope for my CP4500. I also have a Celstron 8" newtonian relfector that I should be able to put the CP4500 on as well. But, obviously it's too big to lug around shoooting birds and other wildlife. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2004, 6:51 PM   #2

Hi Steve,

I can't say whether or not this scope would be ideal for digiscoping, but I do know that there are several Kowa models in that price range which are. The 100mm objective sounds very nice, but what you want to find out about this scope is whether or not the eyepiece used is a proprietary model or whether it's a standard 1.25" astro type.

The reason this is important is that for digiscoping, you really need an eyepiece which has an exit pupil designed for the camera rather than for the human eye. There are several available. Two of the most popular are William Optics ( DCL-28 )which is a 24mm model with 28mm threads on the ocular side which mate to your CP4500's filter threads directly. Also ScopeTronix makes several similar eyepieces with have the large exit pupil designed for digiscoping. With the large exit pupil, you have about 80% of the zoom range vignette free with your CP4500. With a typical eyepiece designed for the human eye, it's more like 20% zoom.

Both the William Optics and ScopeTronix models are 1.25" replacements for standard small celestial scope (mirror types) use. The Meade ETX-90, Celestron C5, etc., use these. Scope makers like Swarovski and Leica make special adapters which allow using these 1.25" eyepieces. Pentax already uses the 1.25" design with their spotting scope.

The bottom line is that you need to find out if this Celestron either already uses a 1.25" eyepiece or makes an adapter which will let you use it. Othewise the versatility of the scope will be greatly diminished for digiscoping.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:02 PM   #3

Lin,

Thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to explain what to look for to me. I will do more research and make sure that I get the best fit for my camrea and my money. I think the old saying that you tend to get what you pay for may be very relivant here.
I am very close to several wildlife refuges with a great veriety of subjects to shoot. I want to make sure that I don't rush and get something that I will be disappointed with.

Thank again,
Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2004, 4:16 PM   #4

To piggy back on this thread...

I've recently picked up a Sony DSC-V1. How well does this cam stack up agaisnt the blessed Nikon CP cams in regards to astrophotography and digiscoping.

I hate it, but I'm diving into photography of all types head first.

The complaints of most digicams when used for digiscoping and astrophotography are large lens size, lens recessed, and external extending lens? The V1 would seem to compare well on noise, and small lens.

Lin is well regarded as a pro in this area. Any info helps, thank you before hand for your time.
braonm is offline   Reply With Quote