Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Nov 21, 2004, 4:14 PM   #1

Some in this forum have been promoting the special eyepieces by William Optics and Optronics for use between a CP4500 and a scope.

I understand that less vignetting is a great pro of these eyepieces.

But do they, more in general, improve the quality of digiscoping?

I use the CP4500 together with Nikon's Sky & Earth 80 spotting scope for wildlife photographing. The two are connected via specific Nikon adapters for this combination. The vignetting is modest.

The results are extremely soft, and in low light circumstances there is little color depth and little contrast. I realise that taking pictures in a low light situation over a great distance (1000 ft and plus) is asking for trouble.

Again: would the special eyepieces make things a bit better?

Thanks for your views

Willem

wwanrooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:32 AM   #2

Hi:

I hate to say this but the reason why "things are soft" is the quality of the scope, not the eyepiece. I have read reviews of the scope you own and more than one reviewer have said that this scope is "not the sharpest". You can decide what they meant by that comment. If the scope is passing a soft image to the eyepiece, no eyepiece or camera in the world is going to make the image sharp. If you magnify a soft image..you just get more softness. This is why the really good scopes go for astronomical prices. As the old saying goes.."you get what you pay for". Sadly it holds true in spotting scopes as well.

Regards,
Greg T.
longwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 11:39 AM   #3

I think it is just a misnomer to think either ONE is to blame for the softness.

Both scope and eyepiece qualities are crucial to a sharp photo. In fact you shouldfirst differentiate what **kind of softness** you got. And between the two factors eyepiece quality is much more significant than that of scope. Most economic (I don't want to say the word cheap, because anything under US$150 might possibly be of this rank) plossl eyepieces have NON-flatfield focalsurface (say, spherical one) so you definitely will get a photo of softness to the edge due to the deviation of planar sensor from the spherical focal surface even the light rays is from infinity. When you view it with your naked eye this is less obvious because your will never capture the whole image through the exit pupil at one time, but it is not true when using a camera and film/sensor.

Regards,

Rudolf.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2005, 12:44 PM   #4

Hi,

How are you focusing? My best luck is to switch the camera to infinity (mountains icon), focus the scope as best you can, go to full digital zoom and fine tune focus a bit more (it will be sharp edged pixels at this point), return to max optical zoom and take the shot. A tripod is highly recommended as well as high shutter speeds. Max out the ISO if you must, a shard grainy shot is better than a blurred smooth shot. Use of the wired USB remote or some sort of homemade shutter release will improve your shots dramatically.

...Ed
edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:48 AM   #5

wwanrooy wrote:
Quote:
Some in this forum have been promoting the special eyepieces by William Optics and Optronics for use between a CP4500 and a scope.

I understand that less vignetting is a great pro of these eyepieces.

But do they, more in general, improve the quality of digiscoping?

I use the CP4500 together with Nikon's Sky & Earth 80 spotting scope for wildlife photographing. The two are connected via specific Nikon adapters for this combination. The vignetting is modest.

The results are extremely soft, and in low light circumstances there is little color depth and little contrast. I realise that taking pictures in a low light situation over a great distance (1000 ft and plus) is asking for trouble.

Again: would the special eyepieces make things a bit better?

Thanks for your views

Willem

Hi Willem,

The William Optics 24mm eyepiece for Nikon 28mm filter thread lenses (such as your CP4500) as well as the ScopeTronix eyepieces are designed to maximize the amount of zoomback possible without sacrificing image quality. By their optical and mechanical design, they allow very close mounting of the eyepiece in proximity to the objective lens of the camera and have an exit pupil which permits you to use much greater wide angle focal lengthswithout vignetting than a typical spotting scope eyepiece designed for the eye rather than a camera.

They will not generally improve your image quality over a decent scope eyepiece, but rather allow you a much greater zoom range. Not being familiar with the quality of either the Sky & Earth 80 or its eyepiece I can't say with any certainty whether you would see any optical improvement with these specialized eyepieces but they certainly will not detract or further degrade optical quality. Both ScopeTronix and William Optics eyepieces function perfectly well with My Swarovski ST80-HD and my Meade ETX-90 scopes and offer optical quality equal to the manufacturer's own eyepieces.

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote