Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:05 AM   #1

I recently bought the S7000 to replace my Nikon 885,which did an exellent job with wildlife and Astronomy.

I mated the 885 with an adapter pointing through a26mm eyepiece of my telescope for a projection image of the moon and planets,and some starfields and with a little zoom,was able to eliminate vignetting.But when I try the same setup with the S7000,no amount of zoom will work.

Can anyone give any insight on this?

I dont want to be restricted to landscape and Aunt Martha.

Thanks

Les
Attached Images

Les Swaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:52 AM   #2

You are really in the wrong forum. This is the forum for the Fuji S1, S2 and S3.

You want the Fujifilm forum above.

As for your question: Sorry, I cannot help.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2005, 6:05 PM   #3
Administrator

Les:

We have a dedicated Digiscoping Forum that you may want to check out.

From what I'm gathering from reading through some of the posts there, a camera with a small lens design works best for this purpose (the Nikon Swivel Bodied models seem to be a popular choice).

Perhaps some of the experts there can let you know what your best options are. I'll go ahead and move this thread there now.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:52 AM   #4

Hi Les,

Unfortunately there isn't a good solution. There are but a few digicams which are really amenable to digiscoping. As you know, the Nikon CP series work very well as do a couple of the new Kyocera/Contax models, but the very things which make the newer, faster, higher zoom models so good for what they do work against them for digiscoping.

The little Nikons, perhaps only by chance, have a lens configuration which lets them "see" through small apertures such as a telescope eyepiece with minimal vignetting. The newer cameras with larger and must faster glass are a major improvement for general photography. They focus well in low light, give you excellent image quality and lots of resolution and in many cases have tremendous zoom range. All these great new features are wonderful for ordinary photography, but simply work against the physics of digiscoping. Nikon didn't "design" the CP series for digiscoping, it was simply a serendipitous confluence of design events which made them work so well and though there are companies such as ScopeTronix and EagleEye (U.K.) who make specialized adapters, eyepieces, etc., to try and help those with these newer designs enjoy digiscoping, I'm afraid it's simply making the best of a "bad situation."

Rather than go down that road and purchase specialized eyepieces, adapters, etc., to try and fit a round peg in a square hole, it's better to take those hard earned dollars and buy a good used CP4500 or CP990/995 or even and old CP950 and do it right. I'm afraid you will never be happy with the C7000Z as a digiscoping tool (I have C7000Z and S602Z myself).I have approximately 30 digicams which I experiment with for about every conceivable photographic use, and only my CP series Nikons really fit the bill. I know that the new Keyocera/Contax cameras can also be used for digiscoping, but you can pick up a good, used CP series Nikon for a third of what you would pay for the Contax.

I wish I had better news for you, but I'm afraid you will be spinning your wheels with the S7000Z for digiscoping.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2005, 3:39 PM   #5

Thanks Lin,

I am still hoping that somewhere out there is an adapter that will work.

Les
Old Jan 18, 2005, 5:07 PM   #6

I am not sure I understand your last message. In the first you seem to have said that you used an adapter with the s7000 and could not get rid of the vignetting. And in your last message you say that you hope to find an adapter that will work. In digiscoping one usually mena by an adapter a mechanical piece that allows one to attach the canera to the spotting scope.
Its influence on vignetting is very limited and most time none.

One thing that you can try is to find eyepieces for your scope that have very long eye-relief. This usually improves or eliminates vignetting even in cameras with long focal lenghts. If you can find an eyepiece with long enough eye-relief (imposssible to tell in advance how much is needed) and not very high magnification [because typically to avoid all vignetting you will have to use your camera with the lens zoom set at telephoto] you might be able to use your camera for digiscoping wildlife for example. Of course the simplest course for digiscoping is to use cameras better suited for digiscoping as Lin Evans recommended.

Dalcio

Dacol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2005, 6:29 AM   #7

Hi Dacol,

The adapter I used with the Nikon was home-made,and as you sujjested,the smaller lense cameras are well suited for this job.

However,I did not realize what a difference a large lense would make until I bought the S7000.Last night,I used a 40mm wide angle Pentax with my 127mm refractor,put the camera to the eyepiece and took this shot.(A little enhancement done).

Thanks for your input.

Les
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2005, 8:03 AM   #8

It might work with a 55mm to 43 step down ring and Scoptronics Maxview eyepiece. They provide the whole attachment set as well (except of the eyepiece) for $89.95 (Item #: STDT41). Worth checking -if you stay with the camera.
Yossi is offline   Reply With Quote