Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jun 6, 2005, 5:25 PM   #1

It looks like the nikon cp4500 is the way to go as far as a camera. I am not sure how much zoom I would get with the camera and the williams mount on a Pentax 80mm. I think that you take out the 20x60 eyepiece in order to put in the williams adapter. Is this correct? What would be the zoom range with this setup? Also, I have the panasonic fz20. Am I correct in assuming that I would not be able to get any quality photos with this camera, because the lense is to large? As you can see, I have no experience and would appreciate your opinions.
utah450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2005, 10:03 PM   #2

I have a 4500 mated to a Pentax pf 80ed and I have great zoom capabilities with it using 20mm to 40mm eyepieces using the scopetronics t-thread adapter. BUT, I did previously have a Sony cd400 mounted to the same scope and although there was a bit of vignetting at lower zoom, there is absolutely NO comparison with picture quality at high zoom. I'm on vacation as I write this and was comparing pic quality from last years photos using the Sony and I'm thouroughly disappointed, not to mention that I have to send off the 4500 to be repaired now that there is a loud grinding noise as the camera starts up and shuts down. Hope you have better luck than I did. I have many accessories for the 4500 if you need any....remote shutter release, battery charger/power dc cord, filter set.
Bayoublaster400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:34 AM   #3

Quote:
It looks like the nikon cp4500 is the way to go as far as a camera. I am not sure how much zoom I would get with the camera and the williams mount on a Pentax 80mm. I think that you take out the 20x60 eyepiece in order to put in the williams adapter. Is this correct? What would be the zoom range with this setup? Also, I have the panasonic fz20. Am I correct in assuming that I would not be able to get any quality photos with this camera, because the lense is to large? As you can see, I have no experience and would appreciate your opinions.
The zoom range will be about 80 percent of the full zoom with vignetting appearing only at the last 20 percent or so toward wide agle.

The FZ20 will not be satisfactory as a digiscoping tool (I have both the CP4500 and FZ20).

I'm not certain why the other poster had problems with image quality with the CP4500. The vast majority of users find it to be an excellent digiscoping tool. I strongly suspect that the camera itself was defective in some way which prevented proper focus because it's widely used and well established as a great digiscoping tool. Mine has certainly worked perfectly with my Meade ETX-90 as well as with my Swarovski ST-80HD.I use the 24mm William Optics eyepiece with both along with a couple ScopeTronix eyepieces. Yes, the native eyepiece gets replaced. Fortunately the Pentax already uses the same standards for the mount as the William Optics. The Swarovski and Leica require specialized adapters to use this eyepiece.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote