Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Oct 26, 2005, 1:42 PM   #1

I am using the 80-400 VR and am thinking about more long range. Any suggestions or advice?
Barracuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2005, 6:03 PM   #2

This month's "Practical Photography" (From the UK) has a good article about digiscoping, and mentions Nikon gear specifically.
eburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2005, 7:22 AM   #3

Thanks, I'll see if I can dig it up somewhere.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:15 PM   #4

Hi,

I use a Celestron C5 telescope and a "T" adapter with fairly good results. It yields a rather long 1875mm focal length without using the recommended 6.3 focal reducer/corrector. With the 6.3 focal reducer the focal length becomes a more reasonable 1182mm (calculated) with the D70. Drawbacks...a few. Full manual, no auto anything. F-stop is fixed at 6.3 and shutter speed is trial and error. Some vignetting can occur. The focusing lock green dot in the viewfinder still seems to function though. Oh, one more thing, it's big! :~) Pros...it's relatively cheap for the focal length, about $500-$600 dollars US. and absolutely no chromatic aberration! Here is a photo(w/6.3 reducer)of the setup and a couple photos using it...

...Ed

Same Eagle...

edorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 7:03 AM   #5

Thanks Ed. Man, that IS big. If you don't mind, what is your opinion of this

http://www.nikon.com.sg/PRODUCT/bino...igiScoping.htm

An 80mm and D70 adapter can be had up here for about 1000.00 Canadian, and it looks a little more travel friendly.

Great pics by the way.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 7:14 AM   #6

Mods, sorry, this should be moved to digiscoping.
Old Nov 1, 2005, 6:35 PM   #7

Hi,

That would be a great system and if I could have afforded it, that's what I would have gotten too. With the setup I use, fast action is not an option. Focusing will still be manual for you but it will be somewhat similar to a standard lens and therefore should be faster. The Celestron uses a small knob on the side of the rear cell and takes some practice hand holding and focusing at the same time. The last photo was taken that way, handheld and using my thumb to roll the focusing knob quickly to achieve the solid green dot. The Nikon Fieldscope (I would recommend the ED glass model) system will last you a lifetime, spend the money and enjoy it for years to come. The adapter should also be compatible to upcoming Nikon SLR models for years to come.

...Ed
Old Nov 2, 2005, 6:30 AM   #8

ederfox : I like to use my D70 with a telescope, can you tell me wath hardware you use betwing the Celestron C5 and the D70 ?? As I can see is a short hardware. and if is a Nikon accesories ? :?
Carlitin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2005, 6:59 AM   #9

Thanks so much Ed!, but I think I've started something. My g/f has a D70S and says , If you think we're going to Costa Rica next month and you're taking that, you'd better get me one,:lol:.
Old Nov 2, 2005, 6:42 PM   #10

Carlitin wrote:
Quote:
ederfox : I like to use my D70 with a telescope, can you tell me wath hardware you use betwing the Celestron C5 and the D70 ?? As I can see is a short hardware. and if is a Nikon accesories ? :?
First the focal reducer. Not required but, highly recommended. It threads into the telescope's rear cell.

http://www.adorama.com/CNRC.html

Next the Celestron "T"- adapter, required.

http://store.yahoo.com/peepersoptics/93633-a.html

And finally, the Nikon "T"- adapter bayonet mount, also required.

http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p12731525?sourceid=3

When it's all pieced together, attach the D70 to the Celestron or other Schmidt-Cassegrain (SCT) scope just as if it were a prime lens. You'll have to work on your patience but, you'll be rewarded with some really great photos!

...Ed