Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Feb 14, 2003, 3:54 PM   #1

Default Can this be used for digiscoping?

I found this. Not expensive (I am limited here) What do you think?
Can this be used for digiscoping with reasonable results?

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/pr...iProductID=330
togal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2003, 11:38 PM   #2

Yes,
There is no reason you could not digiscope with this scope. Check to see if it uses a standard 1.25" barrel on the eyepiece. If so, it would be amenable to digiscoping and with a short focal length eyepiece such as a ScopeTronix 18mm it should give excellent results - assuming you have a camera which is amenable such as a Nikon CP series (CP950, 990, 995, 4500).

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:32 AM   #3

Default digiscoping questions

Hello

Before all , scuse me for my poor english but i don't have many occasion to speak it (i use french language)

My first question are the new ATS80 or ATS65 a good digiscoping products?

second question : is there a real digiscoping result difference between these models? is the value of aperture very important in digiscoping use?

last question : do you think that is the Nikon collpix the only good choice for digiscoping use? .... do you know an another model also good?

best regards
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 10:03 AM   #4

Hi JoBo,

It would help to know the manufacturer of these two telescopes. I suspect that the 80 and 65 in these numbers refer to the size of the objective lens. If this is true, then the 80 would be a better choice because it gathers more light with the larger lens.

There are other cameras which have been used for digiscoping with varying degrees of success, but the Nikon CP series are the overwhelming choice of photographers who have experimented with many different cameras.

The small lens (28mm filter thread) and tilt/swivel construction make the CP series Nikon camera much easier to adapt to this use. I have over 20 digital cameras representing Sony, Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Epson and Minolta. Of these, my CP950, CP990 and CP4500 are far and away the best for digiscoping.

Best regards,

Lin
Old Feb 16, 2003, 1:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin Evans
Yes,
There is no reason you could not digiscope with this scope. Check to see if it uses a standard 1.25" barrel on the eyepiece. If so, it would be amenable to digiscoping and with a short focal length eyepiece such as a ScopeTronix 18mm it should give excellent results - assuming you have a camera which is amenable such as a Nikon CP series (CP950, 990, 995, 4500).

Lin
Thanks Lin. But just after posting this message i realized that it would not be suitable for me. I own QV3500. To avoid vignetting I need a long lenght eyepiece like MaxView40. With this scope and this eyepice I would get the magnification of x10 only. That would be not enough.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 3:11 PM   #6

Hello Lin

Thanks a lot for your quick response:

"It would help to know the manufacturer of these two telescopes. I
I suspect that the 80 and 65 in these numbers refer to the size of the objective lens. If this is true, then the 80 would be a better choice because it gathers more light with the larger lens.
There are other cameras which have been used for digiscoping with varying degrees of success, but the Nikon CP series are the overwhelming choice of photographers who have experimented with many different cameras.
The small lens (28mm filter thread) and tilt/swivel construction make the CP series Nikon camera much easier to adapt to this use. I have over 20 digital cameras representing Sony, Olympus, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Epson and Minolta. Of these, my CP950, CP990 and CP4500 are far and away the best for digiscoping".

My comment:
The ATS65HD and ATS80HD are the news Swarovsky scopes.
I thus retain that it is better to buy a 80mm aperture scope and that the coolpix remains the best apparatus of the moment.

An another question:
if one day it were born an coolpix with 6 or more of millions pixels that have a interest in digiscoping?

another question : Is it better use a camera with a big zoom or a camera with a maximun of pixels and make a zooming on computer?

Best regards

Joseph
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2003, 3:23 PM   #7

Quote:
An another question:
if one day it were born an coolpix with 6 or more of millions pixels that have a interest in digiscoping?

another question : Is it better use a camera with a big zoom or a camera with a maximun of pixels and make a zooming on computer?
I suspected that they might be Swarovski - and yes, the 80mm is far better, though either "can" be used for digiscoping.

If the coolpix still has the small lens which makes is useful for "seeing" through the eyepiece of a telescope, then yes, it would be likely a great choice for digiscoping.

Zoom over 4x seems to be not useful simply because eyepieces with very long focal lengths need to be used to reduce magnification to a useable range. Presently, a 40mm eyepiece is about the practical limit, and having more than 4x zoom on the camera is counter productive in most cases. Better to use the power of the telescope which is designed to not produce chromatic aberration, than to use zoom on a consumer quality digicam. Most consumer quality digicams with long zoom like the Olympus E-100RS, C2100UZ, etc., produce significant chromatic aberration when zoomed to their full focal length. Unfortunately, vignetting is less at full zoom than at full wide angle, so when you zoom a long focal length lens you get less vignetting but more chromatic aberration.

The Nikon 4x optical zoom is actually more than can be used with even a 23mm eyepiece effectively unless the focal length of the telescope itself is reasonably short. With my Meade ETX-90, I rarely use full zoom on the CP4500 because it gets me too far into long focal lengths and lower light. 3x zoom equates to about 6000mm which is quite sufficient. Because of the small lens and configuration of the CP series - with a large exit pupil eyepiece such as the William Optics DCL-28 or the ScopeTronix 18mm, one can zoom to nearly full wide angle without vignetting. This give a tremendous range of from 1400mm or so to 7000 mm without vignetting.

Lin
Old Feb 17, 2003, 6:19 AM   #8

Default Canon G2 - Digiscoping results

Hi,
I've compiled my digiscoping findings on: http://www.caracara.org/misc/digiscoping/.
It is Canon G2 oriented, but quite some information might be useful to owners of other cameras with retracted lenses as well.
Have fun,
J.
jbulck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2003, 1:45 PM   #9

Hi Jbulck,

I have seen your pictures. Looking great. I am waitng for your G3 update.

Tomasz